Mac 3rd party software listings on apple's site gone?

Talking about this http://www.apple.com/downloads/

Its still there but I can't find any way to get there starting from apple's homepage

I remember there was a downloads- os x section on the main menu of apples site now its not there anymore :'(

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
It disappeared to be replaced by the iPad tab.

You can still get there by clicking on the Apple Menu and going to "Mac OS X Software". I would presume that more people get there that way anyway.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/20/downloads...g-updated/

That sucks terribly... It was an awesome showcase for mac games, probably the thing that made making games for mac worthwhile...

I hadn't noticed the link was gone since I have that page bookmarked. I had noticed that it hadn't been updated, since I submitted an update around the time of the last update and it didn't appear.
I suppose I need to work out how to submit my apps to version tracker now. Submitting them to Apple was always good enough to get you listed everywhere, previously.
Sage
I don't know about you guys, but maybe about 80% of our web traffic came from Apple. So this is bad news indeed.

Skorche Wrote:I don't know about you guys, but maybe about 80% of our web traffic came from Apple. So this is bad news indeed.

Yea, that's pretty bad news. The vast majority of my downloads come from Apple. Version Tracker barely counts as a rounding error. Plus, ever since CNET bought VT, they've been going downhill.
Sounds like maybe Apple has something different in mind, like perhaps maybe they are working on an App store for the Mac? That might be equally bad news Sad
With apple killing this, and with the other mac software sites being quite crappy, I think there is room for us to try and place a "mac games" site and try to get it in the first places in google "mac games" searches.

I think google is the first way people look for games for the mac anyway.

If we can get enough people to place a link on their site in exchange for a game listed on this website we should be able to get this site among the first results when people look for "mac games" on google.

I have a few pretty good domains for this, like macgamesonly.com (good for SEO) or gamedifferent.com if enough people are interested we could try to get this thing going, there's nothing to lose really, If it doesn't work one can just remove the links from his site.

To maximise exposure for each game we can keep the amount of people into this as small as possible after getting into the top results on google.

We can also try to get some people from indiegamer, advertise on idevgames... I think this could work.

Anyone interested?

Sage
Yeah, I used to check VT almost every day. That was probably 6 or 7 years ago now. Since then the site has definitely gone down hill.

Luminary
macgamefiles.com already exists and carries much the same stuff as apple's downloads did.

The problem isn't that there aren't good sites for this already, it's that Apple's site generated all the traffic.
Sage
Well, Apple's site generated all the traffic presumably because there is a prominent link in their OS pointing people to their downloads site. I do wonder how much that hurts people's ability to find software.

Not good news at all. Recently my iPhone apps have generated 80-90% of my revenue, and I fear with this that my mac sales will drop down to < 5% of my income. Matteo I got your email and I'll try to respond sometime in the near future, only one more month of grad school then I'll have some time to program and promote my games again!
Founder
Quote:Yeah, I used to check VT almost every day. That was probably 6 or 7 years ago now. Since then the site has definitely gone down hill.
I feel 100% the same way. It was the first site to visit each day to look at all the interesting shareware apps.

Quote:The problem isn't that there aren't good sites for this already, it's that Apple's site generated all the traffic.
OSC, what are the chances of getting Najdorf's site added as a bookmark in Safari/new Macs? I would assume that would help with traffic?

Najdorf, what makes a good Mac game listing site? Do you allow anyone to post their games?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Luminary
The RSS feed started updating again yesterday...
Thanks for the update, Keith. Maybe Apple just moved the team to review iPad apps for a little while.. It's good news that it's back, our sales were lagging pretty severely. Hopefully all the downloaders come back to the site.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work