Posting News on uDevGames

Founder
Hello,

I've been sending out PRs to various places about the contest. For those of you who visit sites outside the US, especially non-English sites, it would be great to post some news to their news page or forum as well.

The PR is below. Thanks so much,
Carlos

--------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Carlos Camacho
iDevGames.com
http://www.udevgames.com

uDevGames 2008 Voting Period Begins Featuring 20 Free Games

Vernon Connecticut, March 6, 2009 — iDevGames invites Mac gamers to take part in a public vote to help select the winners for the uDevGames 2008 Contest. uDevGames is a Mac game development contest that requires teams to create a Mac game in just three months. The contest kicked off on December 2, 2008 and features 20 games by Mac developers from around the globe.

The 20 game entries will be subject to public and peer voting, ending on March 12. Entries will be scored by the public (including participating developers) for “Best Overall Game.” Developers will also score games in six additional categories: Gameplay, Graphics, Audio, Story, Presentation and Originality. The winners will be announced on March 16 and will divide a prize pool of over $20,000 donated by the sponsors of uDevGames 2008.

uDevGames was established by iDevGames with three underlying objectives in mind: create, educate, and succeed. The goal is to motivate developers to create fun games for the Mac platform, and then to release the games under an OSI open source license.

uDevGames actively helps to educate Mac developers, and aspiring new developers to the Mac platform, in technologies such as OpenGL and Objective-C. In addition, the contest helps spotlight developers that create unique and exciting games for the Mac, as well as help introduce the best and brightest talent to game publishers.

“We kicked off uDevGames in 2001, and for the next three years, it made a fantastic impact on the Mac gaming scene. uDevGames has served as a springboard for many of our past developers into the world of professional game development. By leveraging their experience in the contest, whether they win or not, this year’s developers will no doubt contribute positively to the Mac and iPhone platforms,” said Carlos Camacho, Editor-in-Chief, iDevGames.

A listing of all entries including descriptions, screenshots, and downloads can be found at the official website:
http://www.udevgames.com

iDevGames would also like to thank and acknowledge the generous support provided by uDevGames 2008’s sponsors: Araelium Group, Aspyr Media, Inc., Atomicon Music & Sound, Bare Bones Software, Inc., BeLight Software, BIAS, Inc., Big Nerd Ranch, BitRock, DAZ 3D, EazyDraw, Freeverse, Frictional Games, Frogames, GamingBaboons, Geek Culture, Graphic Remedy, Graveck Interactive LLC¸GUD Publishing, Luxology LLC, M Cubed Software, MacTech Magazine, Manning Publications, MAXON, MW 3D-Solutions, Nevercenter, Partners In Rhyme, Inc., REAL Software, Rogue Amoeba, Runtime Revolution Ltd, Sawblade Software, Skorpiostech, Inc, Stone Design Corp , The Omni Group, tribalmedia llc, Unity Technologies ApS, VMWare, Xgaming and Zhang Games / Layout Center.

About iDevGames

Established in 1998, iDevGames’ mission is to educate, support, and enhance the Mac and iPhone game developer community. We also hope to facilitate the exchange between developers and designers so that the Mac & iPhone game market can expand and improve. iDevGames features articles, the latest industry news, tutorials, an active forum, downloads, and much more for Mac & iPhone game developers.

# # #

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Founder

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Great news, the winners were announced!

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=17577

Oh wait, false alarm. I guess Inside Mac Games was tricked by the false news article. That's okay, the yahoo news article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20090313/b...b2227984_1) about "Voting Period Begins" came out the day AFTER voting closed. It's a pity the contest was so poorly organized... I think it reflects poorly on the site and all it's members as a whole. I'm concerned news sites might avoid uDevGames in the future with if they receive incorrect news and insufficient time to prepare a story.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
I agree. This is terrible. You sent out news late twice and have failed to deliver on almost all deadlines. And haven't told us what the situation is, or anything. This whole fiasco reflects badly on the community. We have lost a lot of credibility.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
AndyKorth Wrote:Great news, the winners were announced!

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=17577

Oh wait, false alarm. I guess Inside Mac Games was tricked by the false news article.
It actually says:
Quote:uDevGames is scheduled today to announce the winners
It didn't say that they *were* already announced, and it is still today, last I checked.

AndyKorth Wrote:That's okay, the yahoo news article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20090313/b...b2227984_1) about "Voting Period Begins" came out the day AFTER voting closed.
Yeah, it's a shame how the media outlets run. This was discussed previously. One of the things that would need to be done is to hold voting for maybe a week longer to let media outlets flush their stories on their time-schedules (which is what they do).

AndyKorth Wrote:It's a pity the contest was so poorly organized... I think it reflects poorly on the site and all it's members as a whole. I'm concerned news sites might avoid uDevGames in the future with if they receive incorrect news and insufficient time to prepare a story.
I don't know. News sites don't generally seem to care at all about who they deal with. It's a pretty impersonal business from what I can tell. That said, nothing is perfect, and this contest has surely had its fair share of heated discussions.

So please, while everyone is holding their breathe (and turning purple from lack of oxygen), waiting for results, let's all try and stay cool for a few more hours before saying the contest was this or that. Wink

diordna Wrote:I agree. This is terrible. You sent out news late twice and have failed to deliver on almost all deadlines. And haven't told us what the situation is, or anything. This whole fiasco reflects badly on the community. We have lost a lot of credibility.

Again, paper bag, breath slowly in... then out... in... then out...Wink
Winners have apparently now been announced.
They sure have, Discussion over here

I wonder how many hits uDevGames got today from developers looking for that announcement.
I must have refreshed every 15 minutes since 4:30 this morning, then Tobi
took over while I passed out, then I got up and relieved him of his post.
Six hours at least before he wakes up and sees the news,
unless he sleeps in two hours shots to check for the announcement, like I did.
Please Digg the uDevGames 2008 Announcement news.
The earlier news didn't get enough diggs.
Hopefully I don't have too many neanderthal typos in that article.
Apprentice
I've posted a note about it on my site...http://www.igameradio.com/2009/03/18/and...nners-are/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any OMG Cup news from MacWorld? MattDiamond 6 5,424 Jan 12, 2006 11:18 PM
Last Post: aarku
  OMG in the News Carlos Camacho 48 18,507 Dec 21, 2005 09:16 AM
Last Post: dfmoore