Your favorite entries.

Ok, finally got all my votes in. I gave all the games some in-depth notes in the comments, so I hope that everyone gets them and finds them useful.

sealfin Wrote:I haven't played all the entries yet, but I just have to say: damn you, JustinFic, for tantalising me with the thought that there might be a final, ultimate upgrade for the guns Rasp

Doh! Yeah I have some planned, but they didn't make it in due to time, and I didn't even think there were 10000 powerups in the game (I usually top off at 7-8k.) I knew I should have just stuck an extra 9 on there! Looks like I owe you guys some more guns.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Quote this message in a reply
I'd like to add to my post earlier and say that Reclaimed has really taken off in the last few days and grown into something quite cool and really interesting. That map Andy posted in another thread really made a difference to me too, because now I have an idea where to look for the stuff other people have built. Maybe there's a new feature in there?
After playing uDeadGame - I see what all the rage is about. It's tons of fun to see your army of zombies getting mowed down by that guy with the handgun. Grin
Unfortunately, I didn't progress past the first level as it ran a bit slow on my Mini. Cry

Reclaimed was pretty sweet, but I got quite a bit of lag.
I'm going to go download the new build and see if it's better. Smile

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
See Hairball thats just wrong.
The fun is in watching the guy with the gun get plowed under by a handful of zombies.
The anti-zombie racism that has been so prevalent for decades has got to be
stopped, and uDeadGame is a public service announcement trying to help people see things from the other side of the grave.
Successfully playing involves reaching out to the living and giving them a great big hug and a kiss no matter how hostile they are.
The living will see that zombie love is the only true love that never dies and has no prejudices.

Just wait for our licensed spin off: TerrorTubbies say "eatU!"

Just read some benchmarks earlier.
The last revision of Mac-Mini gets 5FPS on Quake 4, the new one gets 25.
Dan Lurie reported the new Mini never drops under 60FPS in uDeadGame.
Time to upgrade. Grave digging's one way to make money.
igame3d Wrote:Just read some benchmarks earlier.
The last revision of Mac-Mini gets 5FPS on Quake 4, the new one gets 25.
Dan Lurie reported the new Mini never drops under 60FPS in uDeadGame.
Time to upgrade. Grave digging's one way to make money.

Yeah, yeah.
You have to make money to spend money. Rasp

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Its really hard to make a decision on these games. I have a spreadsheet where I am trying to figure out how to rate all the games in relation to each other. Tough. I find that during the voting process, my opinions on some of these games have changed.

For instance FIDRS was a game I was intitially very intrigued by. I liked the graphics, and I tend to like semi puzzle games like it. Unfortunately, after playing it a couple times, I found the gameplay didn't hold up. The strategy seems to be unless you have a port free, wait until things turn red to accept them. I was hoping that orbits or turning radius would matter more. Also the number of ships that appear seems to be based on a random algorithm which ends up making the level easy or impossible.

Stealth Man on the other hand was a game that initially flew under my radar. Wink I didn't understand what was going on at first and it didn't look very pretty so I kept putting off playing it for real. I just finished playing through to the end, and its great. The puzzles are good, and some of the tricks Mark plays with lighting are really cool. The ending made me LOL!

Both these games have a lot of potential. FIDRS needs to hone its gameplay, and Stealth Man needs to work on its curb appeal. Had I been a casual voter, I probably wouldn't have given it the second chance it deserved
igame3d Wrote:See Hairball thats just wrong.
The fun is in watching the guy with the gun get plowed under by a handful of zombies.

I tend to agree with Hairball here, the karate roundkicks and the violence with which the living resistance smashed weapons on the skulls of fallen zombies were some of the best bits.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
True, those are the "oooh sheet!" moments.
But the tackles bring me back to the scene in Return of the Living Dead
when the first cops get jumped in the rain slick mortuary parking lot.
Nearly burst my bladder every time I watch that.

I had a guy tell me he spent two hours on a level today only to fail.
I sure hope he was exaggerating.

I just got a reply at a forum "Do you know if it can run on Windows 2000?"

Ah, what an adventure game dev is.
Quote:Stealth Man on the other hand was a game that initially flew under my radar. I didn't understand what was going on at first and it didn't look very pretty so I kept putting off playing it for real. I just finished playing through to the end, and its great. The puzzles are good, and some of the tricks Mark plays with lighting are really cool. The ending made me LOL!

You just made my day! And congratulations on being the first confirmed person to have beaten the game :-)

Mark
I'm really enjoying Reclaimed. Hopefully kortham will post a map soon that shows my handiwork in the southern mountains. His Hammerness would certainly approve. (Steve's Villa lives!)

Oh, and have I mentioned yet that uDeadGame is amazing?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Finally got to try Laserface. Awesome! Justin Fic, you rule.

I don't think I'm going to get through all the rest of the games before the voting deadline. I feel pretty bad about it. I know I'll find something flying under the radar after the voting closes.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Congratulations to everyone who got an entry in! I unfortunately put off trying all the games until the voting deadline had passed Sad

Of the games I was able to play on my 10.4 PPC iBook, my favorite was definitely Constellation by Matthew Woods. I only wish there was a Linux version so I could play on what's my primary computer these days (the Windows exe crashes under wine 1.0). Can Director create Linux binaries? Sneaky

I was also very impressed with Reclaimed. While I was playing, Andy took me on a little tour and showed me some of the things other players had built. Fun stuff.

GnomeSpy felt like a complete game to me, but was too hard for my brain, so I didn't spend much time with it.

Laserface definitely had impressive levels of polish and completeness for a ~2 month project. I'm sure I would have loved it if I liked scroller-shooter type games.

I liked the idea behind Maneuv'It, and it looked good, but it was a tad choppy on my G4 iBook and I did not have a fun time trying to use the track pad to maneuver. I think if I could use the keyboard I would like the game a lot. And, like somebody else mentioned, it would be a natural fit for the iPhone/iPod Touch!

I hope I'm able to gain access to a newer Mac soon so I can try some of the other entries (especially uDeadGame Smile) Thanks, all, for the games.

Chris Burkhardt
I only managed to vote for two games before the deadline, gw0rp and Laserface Jones. Of the games I got around to playing, these two kept my interest for longest. There are a lot I still need to play more in depth, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  IDG entries are being pirated on the Mac App Store ChrisD 3 1,448 May 29, 2013 09:33 AM
Last Post: skyhawk
  uDG 08: Mono-based entries allowed? Carlos Camacho 2 3,272 Dec 8, 2008 09:30 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  Archived Entries cgoran 4 4,682 May 21, 2008 07:35 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Continuing to update 3DU entries after deadline? StarManta 10 7,449 Dec 22, 2006 11:42 PM
Last Post: Targos
  mini contest idea -- updating previous entries? kgreene 4 4,786 Jul 2, 2006 05:33 PM
Last Post: Zwilnik