iPhone Developer Program: Installing iPhone OS

Hi there,

I've applied for a Standard Program and now I'm reading the Program Portal User Guide even though I'm far from being able to test my app on my iPhone.

But I have a question regarding the "Installing iPhone OS" subsection. This is the part I'm not sure about:

To run your code on an Apple device, you will need to install iPhone OS onto each development device and "restore" each device to a development state. Note: Once a pre-release version of iPhone OS is installed on the device you cannot restore the device to an earlier version of iPhone OS. The device may only be used for development and testing purposes until that version of iPhone OS is publicly released.

It says I'll have to install iPhone OS on my device and that it will be in a "development state". But the iPhone I'm going to use as a developer is going to be the same one I'm using to do the normal daily stuff (calling/SMS/e-mail/whatever). Am I going to have any trouble about it? It wouldn't make sense to me, but after reading that paragraph I'm a bit worried.
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
As long as i understand, that applied to developers enrolled before the Standard Program was available worldwide. Those selected developers have access to new iPhone OS betas.
But it doesn't apply in your situation, you will have only access to the iPhone OS which is publicly released. (so far the 2.2.1 version). You can call and develop freely.

That's the same for me.

Regards,
I didn't really understand that bit. I think it just means that you have to have your iPhone updated to the SDK version. I didn't reinstall my iPhone software and development code ran perfectly well on it.
That line is a relic from before 2.0 was released to the public or when using pre-release future versions of the iPhone OS (none currently available to "regular" developers). Just make sure you're using the newest version of the iPhone OS and when Xcode asks if you want to use the device for development say yes.
Apprentice
Yep, don't worry about it. I develop on my "everyday" iPhone, no problems. I've also discovered that you can compile right to the phone while you're talking Wink.
Thanks! That's good news.

drummerd Wrote:I've also discovered that you can compile right to the phone while you're talking Wink.
LOL