FPS Networking

Im currently working on a FPS game for the iPhone. The map and controls are based on this game I just released: aMAZEing

Im looking into the possibility of using enet for getting doing networking but have a few questions (please bare with me as this is my first attempt at networking)

Im thinking I can get each client to post via http their IP to a PHP page I setup. The PHP page will then maintain a list of IP's and then pair off devices to join a game. It will send back a response via http to the clients and choose one of them as the server. So then the server will be given a list of client IPS and then the they will be removed from the PHP page. Then the game will start on all devices using peer to peer networking.

1) Does this seem like a valid solution?
2) Will it have problems with devices on multiple IPs? (if so is there a solution)

Thanks Smile
Quote this message in a reply
no one any idea on this?

How about a simple, yes/no its possible? Smile
maybe I'd have more look in the networking section... (feel free to move the thread, thanks!)

I've been doing alot more reading around, and it does seem to me at least that this would be possible. However, I must still be lacking in my c skills as I've tried to use the enet library but when I put it into my xcode test project I just get 100s of comiler errors.. I followed the instructions on how to build it from the command line but again got all sorts of permission errors etc. Am I going about this the wrong way?

I would have thought, I copy all the code into xcode and then xcode would compile it. Im not really sure how I need to tackle this one, please can somebody help? Thanks!
wonza Wrote:maybe I'd have more look in the networking section... (feel free to move the thread, thanks!)

I've been doing alot more reading around, and it does seem to me at least that this would be possible. However, I must still be lacking in my c skills as I've tried to use the enet library but when I put it into my xcode test project I just get 100s of comiler errors.. I followed the instructions on how to build it from the command line but again got all sorts of permission errors etc. Am I going about this the wrong way?

I would have thought, I copy all the code into xcode and then xcode would compile it. Im not really sure how I need to tackle this one, please can somebody help? Thanks!

You can see an engine called oolong engine to see how they implemented enet. About the IP list, it seems valid to me, but probably it would be faster (and more or less easy) a java application running on the server side. Do not forget that if your app becomes famous, many people could request that php website.
For scaling networks of this nature you really want to use Erlang over PHP. PHP will be nothing but a scaling nightmare and will cost you a fortune in server cost if the game does well.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
What sort of hosting options are out there? I googled but cant seem to find that does that sort of thing. At least, not without going for the dedicated server option.

If I do go for that option though, I may as well have the main server handling all the games and not just the lobby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Basic Networking questions wonza 4 2,571 Jan 8, 2009 08:37 AM
Last Post: wonza