At what age did you get into programming

I started fairly late, at 21 (5 years ago).
With the internet and a variety of free tools sources of knowledge I think newer generations might start earlier and earlier.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
Well, I did some BASIC programming in elementary school. I didn't really get interested in programming at that time, so I would say I got into programming around 19 (6 years ago).
I was about 10 or 11, I think.
8 or 9. (REALbasic 4.5)

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
I started when I was like 10, I think. Back then we had BASIC built into our computers and it came with a programming manual. We spent Saturday mornings and after school typing in games from magazines. Internet was unheard of. We had this thing called a "Library"... snow uphill both ways yadayada Rasp
AnotherJake Wrote:Internet was unheard of. We had this thing called a "Library"... snow uphill both ways yadayada Rasp

LOL

The question is, did you have shoes, or did you have to go barefoot? Rasp

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Hehe, we wore "moon boots" in the snow back then. Rasp
Age 14. So it's been almost 3 years now :-)
I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Let's see... I learned to read at 4, so it couldn't have been earlier than that. 5, maybe?
I was 8 or 9. Chipmunk Basic on my dad's Macintosh Plus. Good times.

Mac users swear by their computers, PC users swear at their computers. ~Unknown

iSayz
Funny you should ask, I've been on a nostalgic bend lately.

I was 11 and saw Tron in a drive in, then Wargames and I was hooked.
First on any machine that was at any store (TRS-80, Coco, Atari's, TI-99's, Apple II), then mooching off my friend and his Vic 20 and Commodore 64.

Finally my parents gifted me with a 3.5Mhz Mattel Aquarius, and I'm still hacking at it via
an emulator running in Windows which I emulate with Crossover (ie not actually running Windows yeah!) on the Mac.

Here's a recent flash movie of me trying to make
a 3D Aquarius BASIC emulator with Lua.
Have no idea what I'm doing.
It will have to wait until after UDG to get back to that fun.

My library back in New Jersey didn't carry any really useful computer information until about 1999.

I've been skimming through
TRS-80 Graphics For The Model I and the Model II
which I picked up from Denver Public Library a few weeks ago.
The last due date stamped inside the book is July 26, 1986.

Last week I reported a bug to Michael Haardt and he updated his BAS to 2.1.
Its another BASIC for unix You can download here.

My daughter is starting out early, x-talk, then Basic, then Lua starting at about 4, now she's 7 and spends hours in level editors.
I might send her to game dev camp at Denver University this summer.
Sage
I got my first taste with Chipmunk BASIC at 12. I got my first Mac at 16 and started learning C.
GW-BASIC when I was 5 years old, which was mainly used to toy around. C/C++ when I was 13, when I started 'real' coding. That was also the year my parents gave me a copy of Visual Studio 6.0 for my birthday - one of the greatest gifts I've ever received, to this day. Ironically, little things I learned with GW-BASIC continue to be useful on every level of computer science every day, so it was a better language to start with than I gave it credit for.

"Who's John Galt?"
Did anyone else read the "Let's Compute" magazine which was sadly shortlived. http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/letscompute/top_lvl.html Although I believe it was UK only.

I spent many a happy day typing in their code (BBC Basic) on a BBC Micro, then later on an Acorn A3000. They provided code that would work with all the major BASICs of the day - GW-BASIC, Amiga, Acorn/Electron, Amstrad-CPC.

Those were the days! Since the mag was published in 1990, that would have made me 7 years old. Eek!

Cheers

- Iain
I started fiddling with BASIC on the Amstrad CPC when I was about 6 or 7, I think. I'd type in those program listings from magazines and fail to understand how they worked because I didn't know what a cosine was.
The day my dad gave a floppy disc to save my programs onto was a great day, even if I never got anything working. As a teenager I was more likely to spend time fiddling with level editors than writing actual code - I spent a long time trying to get the Quake engine to do things it wasn't really designed for (I never worked out how to write my own mods back then).
I learned C at uni when I was about 19, so I suppose I gradually got back into coding from then, and started writing games again about 4 or 5 years ago.
I think I remember "Let's Compute", but we were regular "Amstrad Action" readers in my house.