At what age did you get into programming

I would say about 10 when I got a 48K ZX Spectrum. However I did have a little go at school when they got a 16K ZX Spectrum the year before in 1982 when they first came out.

I did not read the Let's Compute magazine. I worked through all 52 issues of Input magazine.
Quote this message in a reply
Europe was so lucky with computers back in the day.

We had a show on public broadcasting I think it was called "The Computer Programme" and they always showed off the BBC micro, I'm pretty sure it was there focus. I remember a 3D wire-frame architecture program that just blew my mind.

Tandy Radio Shack carried some kind of comic book about programming like your "Lets Compute" don't remember what it was called, and wasn't impressed with it, since it was more of a sales pitch then a programming tutorial.

I remember my friend "Eggy" and I were wandering around one hot summer day and he told me about Steve Wozniak making the Apple in his garage. We had a Wozniak funeral home...I was certain there was some connection, so from then on I used to look for some guy making computers in his garage in my town.
igame3d Wrote:We had a show on public broadcasting I think it was called "The Computer Programme" and they always showed off the BBC micro, I'm pretty sure it was there focus.

The Computer Programme was by the BBC with the aim of introducing people to computers. The BBC Micro was developed as part of this so that they had their own computer for the series.

It was followed up by a couple of other series of programmes, one of them called Micro Live which I remember watching and seeing some computer animation about a lamp and a ball. Wonder what ever happened to that lot...
I started like others have said, meticulously typing out lines of BASIC to get something really basic to happen onscreen. My poision was the Commodore 64. I also played around with SEUCK on it quite a bit.

Then Amiga 500, Amiga 1200 and AMOS (I even had Zwilnik's TOME for it!) and then Blitz BASIC.

Then onto the Mac and my first introduction to C.
About 8. I spent hours on an old 68k learning various BASIC variants.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I was 7 or 8 learning BASIC on a Commodore 64k in the mid 80's. Once my family upgraded to a Mac I stopped for a couple of years. I started tinkering again in the late 80s. In high school I started to get seriously into it and began writing shareware by 1999.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
⌘-R in Chief
ThemsAllTook Wrote:I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Let's see... I learned to read at 4, so it couldn't have been earlier than that. 5, maybe?

Seriously? Sheesh. Why are you not super genius like Rosen? Wink

--

For me, somewhere around 12/13 (1997-1998). I started seriously by 13 for sure, but I think I had already been fiddling a bit when I was 12. HyperCard, a bit of BASIC, I got Codewarrior 5 for Christmas but figuring C out was just too far over my head. I wrote one thing in FutureBasic and gave up on that one.

Then I moved to REALbasic for years, became a guru, did some work for REAL Software, started learning Cocoa about 5 years ago, and am slowly becoming a guru there. Smile
When I was fourteen, I got my my first taste of Java; I hated it, so I went and learned web programing instead. Ended up spending a year writing a small RPG in HTML and JavaScript that used cookies to save your stats....lots of fun Grin

That was four years ago Smile

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
FreakSoftware Wrote:Seriously? Sheesh. Why are you not super genius like Rosen? Wink

I am, he just hammers things out faster than I do. Wink
FreakSoftware Wrote:Seriously? Sheesh. Why are you not super genius like Rosen? Wink

Huh; I thought he taught David Rosen. Cool

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
12 (I think?) with Logo, about a year later switched to Pascal with a bit of assembler sprinkled in to be able to draw pixels (think EGA display Wink ) and a few months after that, C.

I currently know about 20 programming languages (yet still prefer C/C++ Rasp) with Java webapps development being my day job.
PowerMacX Wrote:I currently know about 20 programming languages

Do people call you C3P0?
monteboyd Wrote:I also played around with SEUCK on it quite a bit.

This was a kick-ass bit of software (Shoot 'Em Up Constuction Kit) for those who don't know. Has anyone seen anything similar to this currently available, or if not it's a great idea for a mac port.

Cheers

- Iain
Wow, I already don't remember. Rasp Probably around 13 with TNTbasic. Then switched to BlitzMax, then to C++.
IBethune Wrote:This was a kick-ass bit of software (Shoot 'Em Up Constuction Kit) for those who don't know. Has anyone seen anything similar to this currently available, or if not it's a great idea for a mac port.

Yeah on the C64 it was brilliant. I once played an underwater themed shoot 'em up built with it that was as good as any commercial C64 shoot 'em ups. The Amiga version was really slow and bad unfortunately. Apologies if anyone here was actually involved in the Amiga version!