If you love 2d retro games

Founder
This artist is sooooo talented. 3D games make me have vertigo. I would love to see these games come to life. So many other classic games that could be remade with great beautiful art.

http://lifehacker.com/5152884/absolutely...wallpapers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Damn Carlos - why did you have to show me this!??!?!! This is how the new Street Fighter should look, and I really really wanna play that Sonic!
Founder
Yes, the images have such a nice organic and painted feel to them. I really love it.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
The Mario one looks almost identical to Braid on XBLA (which isn't that much of a shocker because doing a Marioesqe 2D game with styling art was part of the idea supposedly).
It's interesting looking at the one for a Link to the Past... While it's really pretty, it would actually be somewhat detrimental to gameplay, since you don't get the same crisp distinction between objects. There's something to be said for sacrificing some aesthetics for playability.

Not to dump on these images, of course. They're awesome!
Carlos, did you play ScribBall 2? For a lot of our themes we were going for a painted look, or a handdrawn look, or a variety of different styles. It's not quite the same sort of style, but I thin it's got the same feeling:

http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/scribball.shtml

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
ThemsAllTook Wrote:It's interesting looking at the one for a Link to the Past... While it's really pretty, it would actually be somewhat detrimental to gameplay, since you don't get the same crisp distinction between objects. There's something to be said for sacrificing some aesthetics for playability.
You bring up a great point. While being quite stunning looking, some elements may seem to get lost. Therefore, with environments that are so encompassing, the player would need visual cues to build their language of understanding in terms of how to interact with the environment and its objects. The game developer would need to create a mechanism to highlight and call emphasis to interactive components. (Example: A pulse of light that expels from underneath an object. Perhaps different color pulses convey different kinds of interactivity.)

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Quote:You bring up a great point. While being quite stunning looking, some elements may seem to get lost. Therefore, with environments that are so encompassing, the player would need visual cues to build their language of understanding in terms of how to interact with the environment and its objects. The game developer would need to create a mechanism to highlight and call emphasis to interactive components. (Example: A pulse of light that expels from underneath an object. Perhaps different color pulses convey different kinds of interactivity.)

See Mirror's Edge. :-) I find the environment in that game one of the coolest and prettiest I have seen, however a result of the immersion is that they have to highlight objects along your path red, so you get an idea of where the crap to go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I love Parallax Scrolling Carlos Camacho 3 3,188 Aug 2, 2009 07:18 PM
Last Post: longjumper
  Priorities, dropping things you like, but don't love, etc. blobbo 27 9,042 Sep 7, 2006 10:51 AM
Last Post: Yoda