not getting touches for top 20 pixels

I'm not receiving touch events for the top 20 pixels on the screen. Is there some flag or setting I have to change for this to happen? I am using the GLSprite Apple example.
Quote this message in a reply
This is happening on the simulator, when i run on an ipod touch, i get all of the top pixels, including up to -5, but am not getting the bottom 10 pixels, the max is 470, wth?
maybe its just the screen calibration is a little off, the 470 is all the way at the edge of the screen, its hard to tell though with it being so inaccurate
I believe this is a known simulator bug. Even when the status bar is hidden, it still blocks touches under it. I certainly haven't found any way around it other than running on an actual device...
Sage
Yep, has been a simulator bug for over 2 years now. I don't think Apple cares enough to fix it despite that everybody seems to run into it.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Sage
File more bugs about it.
So do you guys think the only going up to 470 (on a real device) is a calibration issue?
Sage
Are you sure it's not a finger size issue?

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:I believe this is a known simulator bug. Even when the status bar is hidden, it still blocks touches under it. I certainly haven't found any way around it other than running on an actual device...

I have fond memories of button-mashing my macbook while trying to figure out why the top half of a 20px UITextField wasn't working.

Eventually I left it alone, but it's good to know it wasn't just me. Smile

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Yeah, and don't forget that 20 pixels is dead in the simulator when in other orientations too. It is particularly fun trying to figure out why you have to touch a small button at that end of the screen *juuust* right for it to activate. I had this issue just the other day when testing out OpenFeint. It must've taken me an hour before it dawned on me that I had forgotten about that dead area. Wacko
Apprentice
Rasterman Wrote:I'm not receiving touch events for the top 20 pixels on the screen. Is there some flag or setting I have to change for this to happen? I am using the GLSprite Apple example.

Rasterman, IF your problem has nothing to do with the simulator bug, it's possible your frame size is getting messed up somewhere.

Just explicitly set your frame size over and over in viewDidLoad, hence chubbyView.frame = CGRectMake(0.0, 0.0, 1024.0, 768.0); or whatever. Just add that line of code for every view, subview, window etc etc, after every other line of code in your project and then add it anywhere else you can think of.

Have you been using the recent beta versions of the sdk thingy? I believe there was a funny little bug in one beta release (perhaps of IB) that seemed to muddle up the height of frames in some circumstances.

Anyway if it's NOT the simulator bug, I bet your solution is explicitly set the frame size everywhere and always when viewdidload.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  touches offset? Jamie W 11 11,031 Aug 18, 2011 10:23 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  How to get number of active touches? Rasterman 8 6,873 Apr 21, 2010 03:56 PM
Last Post: longjumper
  Touches are slowing down game Jamie W 8 5,367 Mar 26, 2010 03:41 PM
Last Post: Jamie W
  Touches Lagging & Skipping hippocoder 0 1,855 Mar 8, 2010 09:20 AM
Last Post: hippocoder
  Touches: Device vs Simulator vectorscope 4 4,193 Sep 22, 2009 03:25 PM