confused on what to use

I have a game in mind, very detailed and planned out.
The problem is, I don't know how i should go about programming it, especially the graphics part since I really don't get OpenGLES nor Quartz 2d.

First, it's a simple 2d game.
2nd, about graphics in a game, I really don't understand fully.
I come from adobe flash cs3 along with actionscript 3, where i can just go in and draw a cricle and give it an instance name so that i can work with it in my code.
I would like to be able to do the same thing here, except it doesn't have to be exactly that. If it requires learning quartz 2d, i'll give it another shot. Is quartz 2d like, coding the corners and stuff of a rectangle and rotating it ect? I have a hard time with that...

Could I simply draw graphics in illustrator and convert them to .png format and link them up in Interface builder?

Oh, please someone help me Sad
Quote this message in a reply
Well I heard Apple and Adobe made a deal to develop Flash for iPhone.

Hard to believe since 200,000 free Flash games will rip a new rectal feature into the pay to play ipod/iphone appstore business model.

Look into it, maybe you just need to get your Flash game done and wait for a means to port to iPhone.

Else you could invest in Unity, maybe Torque although I think Torque might take more programming hackery.

Hmm doesn't some thread hijacking bandit on this forum have a 2D iphone game SDK of some kind? Yes indeed I seem to recall such a person and thing.

Look around a bit , something will turn up since the search function is making me wait longer than I want to even spend in this post.
igame3d Wrote:Look around a bit , something will turn up since the search function is making me wait longer than I want to even spend in this post.

Don't use the forum search function. In Google, type in your search terms, followed by site:idevgames.com like:

2D iphone game SDK site:idevgames.com
"All this technology scares me." -- Kevin Flynn

Thanks.
igame3d Wrote:Well I heard Apple and Adobe made a deal to develop Flash for iPhone.

Hard to believe since 200,000 free Flash games will rip a new rectal feature into the pay to play ipod/iphone appstore business model.

Look into it, maybe you just need to get your Flash game done and wait for a means to port to iPhone.

Based on the performance of the average Flash game/web-site/video on my state of the art Mac Pro I really don't feel threatened by Flash on the iPhone.

And honestly, I'm still skeptical we'll ever see it. Apple hates Flash, and Adobe isn't getting it on there by themselves.
Yesterday's news, ok a little more than yesterday.

Quote:“It’s a hard technical challenge, and that’s part of the reason Apple and Adobe are collaborating,” Narayen said today in a Bloomberg Television interview from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. “The ball is in our court. The onus is on us to deliver.”
You can also try cocos2d out.
I should've been more specific.
Can I make draw graphics such as level, character, and items with illustrator and convert them to png and then link them up to the game so that they can bee affected by iphones accelerometer? graphics will be somewhat similar to Rolando.
Or must I draw them using Quartz 2d and OpenGLES and stuff?

I prefer the first method...
You can draw them in Illustrator and make pngs.
You'll just need some way to get them to play as a game after that.
igame3d Wrote:...You'll just need some way to get them to play as a game after that.

And believe me when I tell you: that's not easy! Wink

That was my job with Wack Attack! Games. Casey drew all the graphics in Illustrator and put together some Flash demos for me to reproduce/develop on iPhone, and it was pretty challenging. Programming all the animations and various effects and tweening was very laborious. It was straight-forward, but if you don't have any prior programming experience, I would say the learning curve on doing something like this is pretty much a cliff -- going straight up.

We used mostly pngs for the graphics (all drawn in Illustrator, as previously mentioned), but then converted some to pvrtc for some of the frames of animation to save massive space, plus pvrtc for some parts of the backgrounds.

I would not bother consider doing it using anything but OpenGL.

[adding] and hooking up to the accelerometer is relatively trivial if you need to do so for your game