Final Fantasy tactics Clone Online Multiplayer

Apprentice
Hello, I dont know what engine te use that already ecisxt. Next year I want to study game design, so I need to dev game to show them. What is the best way to make a game like final fantasy tacics for online only for Ipad,Iphone and Itouch?

thnx,

Aaron
Quote this message in a reply
Your question is vague. Could you clarify what you're trying to do and what you're asking for help with?
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:What is the best way to make a game like final fantasy tacics for online only for Ipad,Iphone and Itouch?

At this point, forget about ever doing that. You simply won't be able to.

Start with pong in any language, using any tools. It doesn't matter which.
Multiplayer games are a lot more work. You should probably finish your Knytt clone or your metroid/castlevania clone before starting a new project.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37A_mgLGh0
This is the multiplayer for final fantasy tactics unofficial.
I want to make a game 4vs4 on a battlefield for online.

My knytt project cost more work than this, i dont have to make ai bots and big levels.

Thnx,
aaron
What knowledge of game design/programming/art do you already know? I hate to sound mean, but as already stated by several people before, you realistically won't get this done in the timeframe you want to.
To use a metaphor, your first post sounds kind of like this: "Hey, I saw a really cool skyscraper in a city I went to once. Here's a picture of it. What's the best way to build one of my own just like it?"

From the lack of information you've given, it seems you're massively underestimating the complexity of building a game. Many of your previous posts have been similar, and have given no indication that you have experience building smaller games. This is an absolute must; you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, and learn to walk before you can run. Unless you have a very deep background in game design and programming that you haven't mentioned in your posts (which seems unlikely, because if you did, your questions would be completely different), it seems as though you're trying to skip crawling and walking, and go straight to running. It simply doesn't work that way.

If you're interested in studying game design and programming, you have to start out with something very small. Build some levels in a game you like that has a level editor, and get some feedback on them. Download a rapid development environment (I hear BlitzMax is good these days) and build some very basic games in it, such as Pong, Simon, Breakout, Tetris, etc. It's not to be underestimated how much this exercise will teach you; having a concept of the scope of what it takes to build a game is pretty much impossible without having built one, and trying to build a game with a large scope up front is 100% guaranteed failure and frustration.

Look at your previous posts on this forum. Most of them are very similar to this one, with no indication of real progress being made. Ask yourself why. Why are you still stuck at the same point after a year and a half? Why can't you scale the cliff in front of you? Maybe you need to try a small hill first.

This post is not to discourage you - don't lose sight of your dream! Just be realistic about how you'll get there, and take the appropriate steps to work up to it rather than skipping all the important bits in the middle.
Apprentice
I dont want to write the engine, i want to use a engine with a level editor, and use some multiplayer code that is avaible for the engine. So it will be easy to make levels just look at the design of final fantasy tactics, they are not big. It will be a basic final fantasy tactics online.

thnx for all the reply's.

Aaron
⌘-R in Chief
There is no "Final Fantasy Tactics" game engine you can just go find and make a game with by using level editors. That's not how game programming works.

Forget about trying to do this. Like Alex said, you're massively underestimating how complex making game is. With or without a game engine it's not easy.

You need to start way way smaller.
Apprentice
I quote someone from Irrlicht engine forum.
could someone give him a small example of how to load a map which renders a few 3d characters using a server / client scheme? It doesnt have to be fancy, just a few screens for creating a character, some network connection dialogs, a character viewer and of course 4 or 5 spell like objects that damage others. I would but am a littl ebit busy right now, maybe someone else could help?
Rhade Wrote:could someone give him a small example of how to load a map which renders a few 3d characters using a server / client scheme?

I wrote a small 2D client and server for a tile based game. I haven't done combat yet, but the server comes to 38,984 lines and the client is 14,050 lines. This is no *small* solution for this problem.

If you start with http://unity3d.com/ you'll at least be able to load 3D models into the engine without code. You'll still need a few thousand lines of networking code to make that work. But at least that community has more tolerance for people who want to write huge games and are unwilling to start with something they can handle.

Apprentice
AndyKorth Wrote:I wrote a small 2D client and server for a tile based game. I haven't done combat yet, but the server comes to 38,984 lines and the client is 14,050 lines. This is no *small* solution for this problem.

If you start with http://unity3d.com/ you'll at least be able to load 3D models into the engine without code. You'll still need a few thousand lines of networking code to make that work. But at least that community has more tolerance for people who want to write huge games and are unwilling to start with something they can handle.

That are a lot of lines, to many for me to start. Would it be better start a visual novel? Because artwork is not a kind of problem at the time.

Thnx,

Aaron
That would actually be a fantastic place to start, Aaron. There are a lot of interactive fiction games, that play like a visual novel. They are pretty easy, programming wise, but they let you tell a story and introduce you to programming. I guess there's a good market for these sorts of games, and a lot of people play them.

This company seems to specialize in those sorts of games: http://www.tycoongames.eu/

And there are engines for interactive fiction/ visual novel games. I think that's a good place to start. I don't know of any personally, but maybe some other idevgamers might know.

Apprentice
AndyKorth Wrote:That would actually be a fantastic place to start, Aaron. There are a lot of interactive fiction games, that play like a visual novel. They are pretty easy, programming wise, but they let you tell a story and introduce you to programming. I guess there's a good market for these sorts of games, and a lot of people play them.

This company seems to specialize in those sorts of games: http://www.tycoongames.eu/

And there are engines for interactive fiction/ visual novel games. I think that's a good place to start. I don't know of any personally, but maybe some other idevgamers might know.

Oke, would it be easy to program a minimalistic snatcher? I like the japanese visual novels.

thnx,
aaron

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Online Multiplayer Strategy Game Seeking Testers fstltna 0 805 Dec 23, 2013 01:19 AM
Last Post: fstltna
  Online multiplayer iOS game stephenteh 6 10,982 Dec 17, 2011 02:55 AM
Last Post: stephenteh
  Final year project - 3D Rally, possible for an iPhone beginner? CoffeeExpress 7 5,092 Aug 3, 2010 10:06 PM
Last Post: cmiller