How to organize my 2D game?

Apprentice
Hi

I want to try and make a 2D game for my iPhone. It must have some menues (to start the game, highscore and such) and then the main game screen. The game screen will have some photo as background, and then various sprites on top of that photo, and for each level the photo and sprites changes.

So how would I best attack this?

Should I make a view based application with some UIViewController and use interface builder for the menues, and OpenGL ES for the game screen?

Or make it all in OpenGL ES, both menues and the game screen?

Or make a view based application with some UIViewController and use interface builder for the menues, and code a view with subviews for the game screen and sprites by hand not using OpenGL ES at all?

Best regards
Søren
Quote this message in a reply
I'd use IB for the menus. I just wasted a couple of days trying to make mine using OpenGL and it was never satisfying. Using a normal UIView inside a UIViewController makes it much nicer, and the UIViewController takes care of memory management when your app receives a low memory warning.

I'd still use OpenGL for the game though if you want to.
Apprentice
neigaard Wrote:Hi
Should I make a view based application with some UIViewController and use interface builder for the menues, and OpenGL ES for the game screen?

For what it's worth this is exactly how I made Darts.

neigaard Wrote:Hi
Or make it all in OpenGL ES, both menues and the game screen?

This is certainly possible. I found the above to be arguably easier. Also, using say UILabel gives you access to built-in text rendering. You can roll-your-own text rendering or use Texture2D (slow) but why?

Another option for you to consider should be cocos2d-iphone.

Good luck,
Brian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Organize set jncunha 2 2,326 May 16, 2012 02:47 PM
Last Post: SethWillits