OpenGL ES 1.X or 2.0

Quick question, I think I read from apple that they use openGL ES 1.1 or something like that for the itouch.
Is there a difference between 1.X and 2.0?
And which one should I be using for games?

I have a PDF on 2.0 but i'm afraid i'll start learning something useless if they are different.
Quote this message in a reply
It wouldn't matter which one you use for games. GL is GL in that respect.

Yes, iPhone uses ES 1.1, so that's what I'd recommend you learn. 2.0 probably has enough significant differences that it might create more trouble for you to start there and then move down, so I wouldn't take that approach. Stick to 1.1 and you should be good.
Sage
OpenGL ES 2.0 is significantly different from ES 1.1.

ES 2 is completely shader based, with all fixed function transform and rasterization removed, as well as the matrix stack. While the overall graphics pipeline is still conceptually the same, as far as API-usage goes, you'd end up completely rewriting your game if you started in 2.0 and then went back to 1.1.
I'm having SIGNIFICANT difficulty learning ES 1.1 since there are barely any sources out there.
I bought a book called:OpenGL ES Game development, but turned out to be useless as it compares it with OpenGL.
Should I learn OpenGL and then shift to ES?
Seems like that is how everyone else has been learning it.
jeonghyunhan Wrote:I'm having SIGNIFICANT difficulty learning ES 1.1 since there are barely any sources out there.
I bought a book called:OpenGL ES Game development, but turned out to be useless as it compares it with OpenGL.
Should I learn OpenGL and then shift to ES?
Seems like that is how everyone else has been learning it.

If you bite the bullet and learn ES 1.1 on iPhone there's all the iPhone sample code (as bad as some of it is) and a lot of people using it and documenting it, so it's potentially easier.