Best free tools for ex-Windows(TM) developer (image viewer, etc)

I've been developing iphone games on the mac for a a several months now. Now I have completed one game, and so I have some time to improve my surround. I just can't stand such mediocre tools, so maybe you can suggest something.

First of all, I hardly need some nice image viewing tool. Since it's a developer tool, it should:
- always show image size.
- Show the pixel coordinates if i click
- Show rectangle coordinates and size if i click and drag.
- As a perfect feature, it would copy these coordinates as text into clipboard by some shortcut, but I'm not even hoping for this.

I've tried several image editors and viewers, but none of these were able to perform such simple tasks.

Secondly, I need a good file manager. Best would be something like Dos Navigator, but these's nothing like this, the only muCommander is buggy and mediocre. I'm not sure which functions I need, but at least:
- open directory by shortcuts (i.e. alt+1, alt+2, etc)
- two panels to copy/move/etc. muCommander does this in a most ugly way - somehow he doesn't update something, so if I copy new file overwriting the older, xcode doesn't recognize it, even if I restart it.
- Doesn't have dialogs which open in different inactive window
- Can choose between dialog buttons (ie yes/no) using arrow keys
- Default dialog is yes! So if I want to delete a file, I press del, enter. I don't use my mouse to click the very-very small button like in finder.
- Selecting files using masks, or by insert key.

I don't know which tools I also need to feel comfortably, so if you feel something can help some exhausted windows developer - feel free to post a message, it will be highly appreciated!
Quote this message in a reply
Some people recommend Path Finder as a replacement for the Finder. Maybe it'll suit you. Your required features seem pretty specific though; you might have trouble finding something that does all of that.

BTW, you can usually press any button in a dialog box using a keyboard shortcut (often command and the first letter), or switch through them using tab and press using space.

I don't know about any good image viewers, but I bet someone else will.
It wouldn't be too hard to develop an image viewer with the features you mentioned.
As far as image editing; I dunno.

You can also look at the Keyboard and Mouse system preferences to turn on full keyboard access(buttons, menus, etc).

Quote:- Default dialog is yes! So if I want to delete a file, I press del, enter. I don't use my mouse to click the very-very small button like in finder.
- Selecting files using masks, or by insert key.

Don't know what you mean by either of these...

Quote: two panels to copy/move/etc. muCommander does this in a most ugly way - somehow he doesn't update something, so if I copy new file overwriting the older, xcode doesn't recognize it, even if I restart it.

Or this; are you talking about the 'Open' dialog?

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
jaguard Wrote:First of all, I hardly need some nice image viewing tool. Since it's a developer tool, it should...
Personally I use Photoshop but give ToyViewer a try - IIRC it has a decent inspector with selection coords.

jaguard Wrote:Secondly, I need a good file manager.
Best advice I can give here is to learn to like the Finder (and the Dock), but there are some things you can do to make everything more keyboard friendly...

First, open up System Preferences, hit "Keyboard & Mouse" then the "Keyboard Shortcuts" panel. At the bottom, where it says "Full Keyboard Access" check "All Controls". That'll give you keyboard control over dialog boxes, menus, etc.

There are a lot of hot-key applications available but I've always used Butler. It does too much to mention but the most useful features for me are hot keys and pasteboard extensions. It also has some move/copy helpers but I've never used them so YMMV.
Frank C's keyboard suggestion will let you tab and shift-tab through buttons, activate with Space. Just so you don't try to use the arrow keys.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Frank C. Wrote:Personally I use Photoshop but give ToyViewer a try - IIRC it has a decent inspector with selection coords.
Thank you, downloading it now - looks good.

Quote:Best advice I can give here is to learn to like the Finder (and the Dock), but there are some things you can do to make everything more keyboard friendly...

There's no way I can like something this primitive and anti-userfriendly, sorry. Well, let's say you want to copy file from your favorite download folder, to one of your project? You have to use mouse, and drag it here and there, click here, click there, then drag&drop the files, not forgeting to press button to force copying instead of moving. Instead, I open Dos Navigator in Windows (sounds funny, but it's win32 for years, not a DOS app). press alt-1, tab, alt-2, *, f5, enter (I have folder shortcuts on alt-1 and alt-2). Voila. Less than few milliseconds. At least 20 times faster than Finder way.

You can use some keyboard shortcuts in finder, like apple+up/down, apple-c, apple-v, this way it would be like 10 times slower. Or more, since you have deal with one panel, you can't easily swap between two and go to your favorite folder with a single keystroke.

Oh, did I mention the pain when you have to select several different files which are everywhere around the folder? You click them with your mouse one by one, holding apple key, you afraid to miss and lose your selection, you drag the scroller here and there.. Sounds familiar?

Quote:First, open up System Preferences, hit "Keyboard & Mouse" then the "Keyboard Shortcuts" panel. At the bottom, where it says "Full Keyboard Access" check "All Controls". That'll give you keyboard control over dialog boxes, menus, etc.
Thank you, this one is a useful hit! I wish I could use arrows, but OK.
maximile Wrote:Some people recommend Path Finder as a replacement for the Finder. Maybe it'll suit you. Your required features seem pretty specific though; you might have trouble finding something that does all of that.
Yes, sometimes I tend to think people on mac never bother copying files or managing them, or they just have a plenty of time to have joy with nice fading, scrolling, whatever effects instead of actually working. I'm almost ready to write War and Peace book about how crappy x-code is. I'm a little used to it, but still it's terrible.

Thank you for suggestion, but its not a free app..

Quote:BTW, you can usually press any button in a dialog box using a keyboard shortcut (often command and the first letter), or switch through them using tab and press using space.
Yes, I always wondered why does this feature works in one place and doesn't in the other. Now I see why.
jaguard Wrote:There's no way I can like something this primitive and anti-userfriendly, sorry. Well, let's say you want to copy file from your favorite download folder, to one of your project? You have to use mouse, and drag it here and there, click here, click there, then drag&drop the files, not forgeting to press button to force copying instead of moving. Instead, I open Dos Navigator in Windows (sounds funny, but it's win32 for years, not a DOS app). press alt-1, tab, alt-2, *, f5, enter (I have folder shortcuts on alt-1 and alt-2). Voila. Less than few milliseconds. At least 20 times faster than Finder way.

You can use some keyboard shortcuts in finder, like apple+up/down, apple-c, apple-v, this way it would be like 10 times slower. Or more, since you have deal with one panel, you can't easily swap between two and go to your favorite folder with a single keystroke.

Oh, did I mention the pain when you have to select several different files which are everywhere around the folder? You click them with your mouse one by one, holding apple key, you afraid to miss and lose your selection, you drag the scroller here and there.. Sounds familiar?

Mac OS has always been a more mouse-based and visual system and although I can understand your frustration, I assure you that you can be productive with your hands off the keyboard - it's just a different way of working. Keep often used folders in the dock, use spring loaded folders and hot corners for exposé - and play lots of Quake 3 to get your mouse skills up to spec Wink

If you're dead set on getting Dos Navigator-like functionality you might want to check out Fink or MacPorts or search Freshmeat or SourceForge - there's bound to be a Unix utility that does something similar...
jaguard Wrote:You can use some keyboard shortcuts in finder, like apple+up/down, apple-c, apple-v, this way it would be like 10 times slower. Or more, since you have deal with one panel, you can't easily swap between two and go to your favorite folder with a single keystroke.
I fail to see your reasoning here. You say you can move some files with five keyboard shortcuts and complain that Cmd+C/V is slower? Using that, you can copy between folders in two shortcuts and two clicks.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
jaguard Wrote:There's no way I can like something this primitive and anti-userfriendly, sorry. Well, let's say you want to copy file from your favorite download folder, to one of your project? You have to use mouse, and drag it here and there, click here, click there, then drag&drop the files, not forgeting to press button to force copying instead of moving. Instead, I open Dos Navigator in Windows (sounds funny, but it's win32 for years, not a DOS app). press alt-1, tab, alt-2, *, f5, enter (I have folder shortcuts on alt-1 and alt-2). Voila. Less than few milliseconds. At least 20 times faster than Finder way.

Hold on a sec... the Finder has problems, but anti-user friendliness is not one of them.
You are using DOS navigator and you have folder shortcuts set. So for my example, I will have put said folders in the dock. I click on each folder, select the files I want, and drag into XCode. I now have said files in my project.

Better yet, put the folders in your sidebar. Then, in XCode, go to Project > Add to Project... and select the folders in your sidebar.

Quote:You can use some keyboard shortcuts in finder, like apple+up/down, apple-c, apple-v, this way it would be like 10 times slower. Or more, since you have deal with one panel, you can't easily swap between two and go to your favorite folder with a single keystroke.

Put your folders in your sidebar.

Quote:Oh, did I mention the pain when you have to select several different files which are everywhere around the folder? You click them with your mouse one by one, holding apple key, you afraid to miss and lose your selection, you drag the scroller here and there.. Sounds familiar?/QUOTE]

You could just select your files while holding down the command key, then use Option(alt) + Apple key to drag the background to where your other files are.

[quote]Yes, sometimes I tend to think people on mac never bother copying files or managing them, or they just have a plenty of time to have joy with nice fading, scrolling, whatever effects instead of actually working. I'm almost ready to write War and Peace book about how crappy x-code is. I'm a little used to it, but still it's terrible.

Yep. We save so much time actually working that we have time to enjoy the fading/scrolling effects. Smile

- Lincoln Green
diordna Wrote:I fail to see your reasoning here. You say you can move some files with five keyboard shortcuts and complain that Cmd+C/V is slower? Using that, you can copy between folders in two shortcuts and two clicks.

Mine "five shortcuts way" includes opening folders, yours - doesn't. This the navigation of course which is so terribly unfriendly. What I do now, is just keep all important folders on a desktop, but even that gives a lot of frustration, when you suddenly realize you have different 6 windows of the same folder.
You didn't include selection of the files, too (while I did). Which is easy when you want to select all files, and pain in the arse, when you only want to copy pngs and jpgs, leaving the other files in place.

Update: Oh, I wasn't aware I can add folders to sidebar. It's much better now, its only a problem with selecting multiple files now. Great Smile.

Update2: Now maybe there's a way to open a folder on a sidebar using hotkey? It's control incoherency now, apple+a, apple-c, apple-v are just fine, but you have to open a destination folder somehow.
jaguard Wrote:Update2: Now maybe there's a way to open a folder on a sidebar using hotkey? It's control incoherency now, apple+a, apple-c, apple-v are just fine, but you have to open a destination folder somehow.

Yup. Just hold down the Apple key while you click on the sidebar item.

- Lincoln Green
Hairball183 Wrote:Yup. Just hold down the Apple key while you click on the sidebar item.

This kind of control is supposed to be keyboard based, since you need two hands to press apple-c to copy and apple-up/down to navigate the folders. So "click" is out of place.

Oh, I know! It was Zaphod Beeblebrox who designed the apple's interface Wink.
Thank you people. Some way or another, you managed to help me a little. This Toyviewer app is awesome too!
jaguard Wrote:Update2: Now maybe there's a way to open a folder on a sidebar using hotkey? It's control incoherency now, apple+a, apple-c, apple-v are just fine, but you have to open a destination folder somehow.
Check out that Butler app in my first response - there are easier to configure hot key apps out there but I'm not aware of any good free ones, and Butler can do crazy stuff like map hot keys to simulated keystrokes. E.g. you can have a single key open a folder, select all, copy, open a another folder, then paste - all in one shot.

You might also want to check out Automater.app in your Applications folder - Mac OS X and many Mac apps are highly scriptable.
jaguard Wrote:I'm almost ready to write War and Peace book about how crappy x-code is. I'm a little used to it, but still it's terrible.

We feel your pain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  EPS viewer/converter? Toontingy 5 4,210 Jun 24, 2010 09:02 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook