Sample Code Apple removed?

Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm trying to get myself started developing OpenGL ES games for the iPhone, and I've been able to get some simple sample code running (basically some rotating triangles - pretty straight forward, but that's where I like to start)

I tend to learn well by looking at sample code, and as I've been perusing the forum, I've seen some references to CrashLanding and TouchFighter, which I now know have been removed from the iphone dev center!

In particular, I was hoping to look at the Texture2d class - does anyone have an old copy of it they would be willing to email to me? Or what about CrashLanding or TouchFighter as a whole? I don't mind if the projects don't work with the current iPhone SDK, I'll just be looking at them for reference anyway.

You can send anything to erlloyd at gmail dot com.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to talking with you all as I work through the inevitable questions I will have.
Quote this message in a reply
As far as I've heard, the TouchFighter example was NDA'd pretty tight and only available to attendees of the WWDC. I have yet to see it myself.
Apprentice
Ah. I was not aware. What about CrashLanding? Like I said, all I'm really interested in is the Texture2d class. Does anyone have a copy of that code? Or is that under NDA as well?
I'm sure there are a lot of copies of Texture2D lying around, but I have no real knowledge of whether or not it's under NDA or whether or not it is forbidden to distribute it under the current terms. I assume that since it is clearly copyright Apple, they own it, and if they aren't distributing it, that doesn't automatically mean we can.

That said, there isn't anything really special in there, and it certainly wouldn't preclude someone writing and distributing their own replacement version of Texture2D. I guess it's just that no one has gotten around to doing that yet. Wink
The licence in the source seems pretty clear that you can redistribute it. I've uploaded a copy here: http://www.maximile.net/stuff/Texture2D.zip
Aha! I agree, it appears you are correct that we may redistribute this stuff according to what is posted in the source. Excellent observation maximile! Smile

[Edit] ... but ... does anyone know if any of the terms of the iPhone developer agreement supersedes what is posted in the source? I mean, if we're paying members, can we redistribute it too? I assume so, but I figured it was worth questioning.
⌘-R in Chief
The same goes with TouchFighter. The license specifically says you can redistribute it.
That's not what I recall Apple saying about it when asked on a mailing list a while back. ... although perhaps I read it wrong.
I just did a quick search of the iPhone dev forums and found where I read it. I don't dare copy it here because it isn't from a public forum, but the conversation went something like this:

- iPhone dev: I have a copy of Touch Fighter, I'll post it
- Apple employee: No please don't because it is only available to X and Y subset of developers right now.

So I don't know if that situation has changed, but that's where I got the impression that it is restricted. [BTW, that was near the end of October]

[adding more] The Apple employee said those who have it, received it under "an NDA umbrella". I don't know exactly what ramifications are involved in that, but unless someone can point out clear evidence that we're good to go, I'd be pretty darn careful about sharing it myself.

And so that further raises questions about sharing Texture2D, although, personally it appears to me that it was available under terms of the public iPhone developer agreement, so that takes away a lot of NDA shadiness in my view... Except for those of us who are paying developers. Hazy stuff...
Texture2D is also in the source for cocos2d-iPhone.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
And you can find SoundEngine in oolong engine last I checked.

Oh, and a bunch of other goodies too, like a nice triangle stripper.
AnotherJake Wrote:I just did a quick search of the iPhone dev forums and found where I read it. I don't dare copy it here because it isn't from a public forum, but the conversation went something like this:

- iPhone dev: I have a copy of Touch Fighter, I'll post it
- Apple employee: No please don't because it is only available to X and Y subset of developers right now.

So I don't know if that situation has changed, but that's where I got the impression that it is restricted. [BTW, that was near the end of October]

[adding more] The Apple employee said those who have it, received it under "an NDA umbrella". I don't know exactly what ramifications are involved in that, but unless someone can point out clear evidence that we're good to go, I'd be pretty darn careful about sharing it myself.

And so that further raises questions about sharing Texture2D, although, personally it appears to me that it was available under terms of the public iPhone developer agreement, so that takes away a lot of NDA shadiness in my view... Except for those of us who are paying developers. Hazy stuff...

Watch out! They're behind you! Ninja

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:Watch out! They're behind you! Ninja

[chuckle] ... I just got rubber ninja rolled! I even looked over my should for the fun of it. LOL

Sorry, I don't mean to inject NDA paranoia into the fun, but as a reminder, especially for newer members who may be wondering what's up with the strictness: We do have a few Apple employees who graciously offer some helpful advice and information around here from time to time, and it is unlikely they will be able to continue to do so if we do not make every effort to adhere to Apple's policies regarding confidential information -- whether the policies be bonkers or not. At least the big iPhone NDA fiasco is long over with, but that doesn't mean all rules are no longer in effect. So, please be careful. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Apple Render to Vertex Buffer Sample OneSadCookie 13 7,693 Oct 15, 2006 01:10 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  FBO sample code posted arekkusu 5 4,727 Sep 20, 2006 09:23 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  How to read an iTunes playlist, sample code TomorrowPlusX 4 5,203 Sep 9, 2005 11:06 PM
Last Post: LongJumper
  TextureRange sample Red Marble Game 1 3,007 Dec 9, 2004 12:04 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Does Anyone have a sample of SDL being implemented without Project Builder? tingham 10 4,564 Oct 7, 2003 11:42 AM
Last Post: Fenris