Limitations of the file open/save dialog

One thing I like about Windows is the way it displays folders above files when browsing files. I find this very useful for navigating down through the directory structure quickly. I googled this and found a way to have the Finder display like this by editing the InfoPlist.strings file in the Finder.app by changing this line to: "Folder" = " Folder";
Now this works fine but the file open/save dialogs are unaffected by this change.

This lead me to realise how limited open/save dialogs are compared to Finder windows now. In Finder you have so many options and now even Cover Flow, whereas open/save dialogs still only have icon view, list view and column view. And in list view you can only choose to sort by name or date.
I discovered a feature where you can hold down the mouse button on the icon view to bring up a contextual menu and change the icon size, but this still only lets you choose 32x32, 64x64 and 128x128.

What would I really like in open/save dialogs?
- Sort by kind so folders could appear all together (if not at the top at least they would be grouped)
- Scale icon view to have larger icons. Even 128x128 is hard to see when you're trying to pick out the right photo from a bunch of similar ones.

I've googled to no avail so I'm asking here as a last resort. Do you guys know of any way the settings of open/save dialogs can be edited?
Quote this message in a reply
I often make my selections in the finder window, and then drag things into the open or save dialog. This doesn't quite answer your question about changing the open/save dialogs, but if you like how the finder works, use that instead, and use drag and drop to select files or folders.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Thanks for the suggestion Andy, I might try to get into the habit of that. The main problem I would find with that approach is if the Finder window I switch to completely obscures the open/save dialog behind it. I tend to not like moving my windows around just to drag and drop. Smile

I found this utility: Default Folder which doesn't solve my problem but does have some nice features. But I haven't tried it out yet. I'd prefer something that didn't sit around the open/save dialog but I might not have much choice.
DoG
you can drag & drop with exposé, too, or cmd-tab app switching
Founder
I wish you could rename files etc in Mac OS X as you can on Windows. (Or can you? lol)

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:I wish you could rename files etc in Mac OS X as you can on Windows. (Or can you? lol)

I can't count the number of times I've tried to drag and drop into an open or save dialog in windows... but instead moved my file or folder into an obscure directory...

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Carlos Camacho Wrote:I wish you could rename files etc in Mac OS X as you can on Windows. (Or can you? lol)

Yeah, and deleting from within open/save dialogs is another nice feature of Windows. I can't believe we're here discussing the benefits of Windows! Wink

Carlos, check out Default Folder that I linked to above, I'm yet to download it but it does give more features to open/save dialogs and renaming files might be one of them.

I'm just really surprised Apple haven't introduced things like cover flow to the open/save dialogs. Times like when you're uploading photos to a blog is the perfect time to be able to flick quickly through nice big previews to choose the one you want. Maybe with Snow Leopard...
Nibbie
monteboyd Wrote:Carlos, check out Default Folder that I linked to above, I'm yet to download it but it does give more features to open/save dialogs and renaming files might be one of them.

Carlos and Monteboyd: Yes, Default Folder X allows you to rename and delete files from within file dialogs, as well as giving you large previews, the ability to click on Finder windows to change the location of the file dialog, and a bunch of other features.

Take a look at the screencasts on the site, or just download a copy and give it a try - I think you'll find it solves a lot of the problems you have with the standard open/save dialogs.

Disclaimer: I wrote Default Folder X Grin