Mac slowing down

Founder
I feel that my Mac is getting slower as of late. Actually, last few months. I'm running the same apps. I used Disk Utility as well. Are some of the recent OS updated the cause? Silver iMac 20".

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
It depends on what is causing the slowdown. There are 4 primary reasons that a mac can "hang".

1) CPU
2) Memory
3) Hard Drive
4) Network

When the computer is running slowly (booting up) take a look at activity monitor and see what function is pegged. Once you determine what is causing it to run slow you can pinpoint what is doing it.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
I know for a fact that iTunes 7 increased the minimum required memory (for ONE application) to 1 GB, which alone caused me to double the RAM I had in my MacBook Pro. I'd be somewhat less surprised if OS updates also increased memory allocated for system operations.

"Who's John Galt?"
TythosEternal Wrote:I know for a fact that iTunes 7 increased the minimum required memory (for ONE application) to 1 GB, which alone caused me to double the RAM I had in my MacBook Pro. I'd be somewhat less surprised if OS updates also increased memory allocated for system operations.

This is a common misconception, iTunes 8 only requires 1 GB of RAM while playing HD movies. 512MBs is the normal requirement, but idle or just playing music runs significantly lower.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Founder
Quote:1) CPU
2) Memory
3) Hard Drive
4) Network
1 2.4GHz Core 2
2 3 GB
3 about 26gb free
4 connected directly to cable modem.. about 6Mbps

Safari is 'slowest'. Though sometimes it seems the behind the scenes indexing for spotlight could cause it.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
That sure seems to be a fast everything... have you opened Activity Monitor to see what processes may be eating up your processor time?

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
When Safari is running slow open up Activity monitor, there are 4 tabs on the bottom, take a look at what is pegged. Over the easier method is grab a copy of MenuMeters so you can quick at a glance it when it is slowing down.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
⌘-R in Chief
kodex Wrote:This is a common misconception, iTunes 8 only requires 1 GB of RAM while playing HD movies. 512MBs is the normal requirement, but idle or just playing music runs significantly lower.

Blink

Mine chums along just fine at 50 MB....
Founder
Would the OS slow down if you had less than 30GB HD space left. I thought I read the other day someone saying that the OS' 'virtual disk' was the cause of their slow system.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
As a rule of thumb you want to keep at least 10% of your hard drive space free, while 30GB wouldn't typically be low enough to effect system performance much.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com