What file sound format, sound format and library do you use?

Hi dudes!

I would like to know your opinions.

I'm going to use FMOD on my iPhone, as PC version always worked fine for me.
Do you use MP3 or WAV? maybe mp3 requires a lot of processing and time, and maybe wav requires a lot of space.

What quality do you use, 22 or 44khz?? 8 or 16 bits??? stereo or mono??
I think the iPhone is mono unless you use headphones, am I right?

What do you think?
Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
mp3 and aac/mp4 are decoded in specialized hardware on iPhone, and it is *very* efficient. WAV takes up way too much disk space for my tastes for longer sounds like music, but it's ideal for short sounds like laser fire. I don't know a darn thing about FMOD, but you will probably need to use iPhone API's (specifically, Audio Queues) to play mp3/aac/mp4 through the specialized hardware.
AnotherJake Wrote:mp3 and aac/mp4 are decoded in specialized hardware on iPhone, and it is *very* efficient. WAV takes up way too much disk space for my tastes for longer sounds like music, but it's ideal for short sounds like laser fire. I don't know a darn thing about FMOD, but you will probably need to use iPhone API's (specifically, Audio Queues) to play mp3/aac/mp4 through the specialized hardware.

Thanks!

What MP3 format do you use? (mode, bitrate...)
Whatever sounds good and is relatively small. Probably 44.1 at 160 kbps or so.
You don't mind spending $500 for something you can easily do without it? It was alright for me to pay $100 when I used FMOD for a PC game, but it doesn't look like it cost $500, since iphone API and SoundEngine from Crashland sample does perfectly without.

Apart from that, I don't think you have a choise of what to use. WAVs are too big, you can't use it for music.
jaguard Wrote:You don't mind spending $500 for something you can easily do without it? It was alright for me to pay $100 when I used FMOD for a PC game, but it doesn't look like it cost $500, since iphone API and SoundEngine from Crashland sample does perfectly without.

Apart from that, I don't think you have a choise of what to use. WAVs are too big, you can't use it for music.

Do you really think it is not necessay fmod? (I have no idea about how to play sounds on the iphone at the moment, so I don't know if it is easy or not, and I use fmod on pc and it is really easy). Obviusly, I prefer saving 500$ Wink

By the way, what is "SoundEngine from Crashland"?

Thanks a lot for your help.
riruilo Wrote:Hi dudes!

I would like to know your opinions.

I'm using mp3 to play music and .caf files to play sound effects without problems.

riq.
Apprentice
riruilo Wrote:By the way, what is "SoundEngine from Crashland"?

CrashLanding is one of the Sample Applications provided by Apple with the iPhone SDK. Is is a sample OpenGL ES game which uses AudioQueues and OpenAL for the sound engine.
riruilo Wrote:Do you really think it is not necessay fmod?

Unless you need something very cool, or MIDI/tracker formats, yes. I myself would prefer using .XM tracker format, but I'm not ready to spend $500 on this.

Quote:(I have no idea about how to play sounds on the iphone at the moment, so I don't know if it is easy or not, and I use fmod on pc and it is really easy).

It's about just as easy as fmod. SoundEngine itself is a great piece of some mysterious code, so it's actually one line of code to play a music or sound effect.
jaguard Wrote:SoundEngine itself is a great piece of some mysterious code, so it's actually one line of code to play a music or sound effect.
That SoundEngine code actually has quite a few bugs and memory leaks, and AFAIK it's no longer available from Apple.
The memory leaks were from Audio Queues, not the class itself (assuming we're talking about the same leaks of course). Most of those leaks were fixed in 2.2. They're still working on (or maybe have an internal fix already) for the last tiny little buggers.

I think it's a useful class, but I found it a little convoluted myself. If it's not still available from Apple, you can probably find it in the oolong engine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sound from both file and "virtual fs" godexsoft 1 2,276 Feb 14, 2012 08:33 PM
Last Post: godexsoft
  What sound library do you use? riruilo 6 8,559 Mar 19, 2011 10:56 AM
Last Post: gnurf
  Converting SQL into xcdatamodelid format Toontingy 1 3,870 Mar 14, 2011 10:43 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Ambient Sound performance on iOS 4.x hypersonic 3 5,079 Feb 17, 2011 11:03 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? monteboyd 2 4,439 Dec 23, 2010 02:56 PM
Last Post: monteboyd