Replacing MacBook Pro Hard Drive

The hard drive on my 17" MacBook Pro has failed.
After recovering the data using DiskWarrior I attempted to reformat and reinstall but it is just not working out.

So this means time to put in a new, much bigger, replacement drive.

After doing some looking about it would appear that this is not such an easy task compared to a MacBook.

Has anyone here successfully replaced the drive on a MacBook Pro and if so is it easy enough to do or is it recommend sending it away to be reborn?
Quote this message in a reply
It is not overly difficult. The hardest part will be working with the flex cables that lay ontop of the hard drive. If you tear one of these cables you will have to dig up a new one.

Take out all the back and side screws and put them in a pile, should be 10 or so. Remove the ram bay door, remove the screws on the front wall under the battery, remove the tork screws under the ram door.

Then you can pry up the top case, start towards the screen and arch it back. Once off you can remove the 4 tork screws that hold the HD in place.

If you are uncomfortable with it try to dig you a local apple certified technician. Someone like myself would charge $50 or so dollars to toss one in, if you bring it to a brick and mortar location they may charge as much as $100. If you happen to know any techs a six pack of beer works just as well.

If you hit any trouble feel free to contact me I can walk you through the process.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
I took my MBP to a local Mac repair shop and they charged me $60 (which I think was their minimum labor charge). Seeing as how I didn't have the tools, didn't want to void my warrant, and after a friend of mine spent two hours doing it himself and told me to just pay the $60, I figured that was the easier route.

So I would try calling around first if you have any local Mac repair guys in your area and see how much they would charge for a simple hard drive swap.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
I did mine a year or so ago. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, probably took 20 minutes. I'm the kind of guy that likes to do his own repairs as a learning experience though.
I've decided to send it away to be upgraded.

There are no Apple repair places locally that I would trust.

I did consider doing it myself but I don't want to end up with a badly fitting back together laptop. If they mess it up they pay for Smile

So unless anyone comes along with a horror story about http://www.macupgrades.co.uk then I'll send it off in 2009.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hard drive recover Carlos Camacho 4 1,046 Jan 10, 2014 02:27 PM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  Hard drives Carlos Camacho 5 3,595 Mar 4, 2010 03:22 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  What should I do with this shiny new Macbook Pro? stevejohnson 18 6,968 Jun 8, 2007 06:19 AM
Last Post: Joseph Duchesne
  MacBook For 2D Game Programming? Nick 16 6,700 Oct 18, 2006 01:23 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  Macbook random shutdown problems gatti 7 3,247 Aug 9, 2006 02:00 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister