UDEV: Can I enter?

Apprentice
Given this thread there seemed to be some doubt on the matter, which is why I'm asking now. If the consensus it that simply having a prototype available before the second disqualifies me then so be it.
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Also, why is it that some of my posts are getting queued up to be approved by a moderator? I had a couple things to say to the issue of fairness which seems to have been lost...
It's obvious to me that it's a matter of measure. If the finished game is different-enriched enough from the prototype then it probably ought to be considered a different game.

After all nobody would probably object to say a tetris clone, in this case he's "cloning" his own game.

Plus if I recall in past uDG a game like Maffia was simply a rewrite of the very similar game by the same author, and there have been quite a few other "rewrites".

So I'd say he's fine if he changes-adds enough.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
I got the impression that he wanted to use his old code in the new game. If that impression was wrong, then he's probably fine.

Edit: I am being stupid. The existing prototype's the thing, not the code. Code from OSS is fine.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
aschearer Wrote:Also, why is it that some of my posts are getting queued up to be approved by a moderator? I had a couple things to say to the issue of fairness which seems to have been lost...

I believe new people need to have their posts approved for the first few posts. Now that you have member status, it shouldn't happen anymore (I think... these sort of things tend to change around here).

Personally, I don't care so much about the contest- I think it's more about the community and seeing other people's work... but that's just my outlook on the matter.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Apprentice
diordna Wrote:I got the impression that he wanted to use his old code in the new game. If that impression was wrong, then he's probably fine.

No, there is only one game, it's a new game which I haven't released yet save for a prototype mocking up a core gameplay mechanic many moons ago.
These matters will need to be handled by authoritatively. We can't be making up contest rules by community consensus after the contest is already underway. I'd suggest contacting Carlos directly to get this resolved.
Quote:These matters will need to be handled by authoritatively. We can't be making up contest rules by community consensus after the contest is already underway. I'd suggest contacting Carlos directly to get this resolved.

So that he can copy/paste this thread into a second one next to it and ask us for our opinion? ;-)

I've always understood the rules to be so: The general spirit of the contest is that everyone does the work on their game inside the three months. It's no official rule because it's too damned hard to check if people have been secretly working on it for a couple of weeks before the start-date.
However, the contest is (as I understand it and see it) not there for people who have been working on a game, are nearing completion, hear about the contest and decide to whack it in. It's for people who are making a game for the contest. Just my feelings on the matter.

In any event, it's not that you shouldn't enter, go for it, but do it with a new game, to prevent bad feelings amongst the community?

Mark
DoG
I am not a lawyer, but I helped draft the rules. In case nobody noticed, there's a bloody FAQ, and it says
Quote:FAQs Relating To Rule #4

4.1 I only released screenshots of my game before the contest. Why can’t I submit it?

By releasing screenshots of your game to the public, you have allowed the opportunity to receive feedback on your graphics, style, and polish which can potentially give you an unfair head-start in the competition.

4.1 Can I use source code from a game that was released to the public prior to the start of the contest?

The use of source code used in a game released prior to the start of the contest is allowed, provided that the entry is a substantially new work and meets the conditions of Rule #5.

So there you have it. AUTHORITATIVELY.
On the github page it shows that you've been working on this since 09/10/08, which means you'll have had almost twice the amount of time to complete your game as other entries.

I personally don't think you should be disqualified, as long as you can create something new and unique from the original project.

In my opinion, using general code that you've worked on for the past year, then implementing it into a new project, is no different from someone starting their project using a RAD tool, an opensource framework, or Unity/Torque/Dim3 etc.
DoG
He will only get disqualified if he can't prove that substantial work has been put into the project since the start of the contest.

Let me therefore repeat that a rigorously kept developer diary in such a case is *very* important to prove this. And by diary I mean a publicly available log, text file, or whatever, with obviously the udg hosted diaries being the best place. If you just make up something when the contest ends, it will likely cause an outcry from the other developers, and the entry will be disqualified on the grounds of breaking Rule 4/5.
Apprentice
Alright, well it seems like the consensus is that I should not enter -- I certainly don't want to spoil things for the rest of you. Hopefully I can simply share my game here later this month for criticism/feedback/play testing (and judging from some of your responses it's bound to be some serious criticism :-). Best of luck on your entries, I look forward to seeing them.
I think you should be able to enter as long as you aren't taking any massive chunks of code from your old project.

Look forward to seeing your game.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
An excellent thread illustrating how the stupid rule is keeping developers out of the contest.

Way to go!
And the ones who were allowed to enter and had a good time stick around to say how happy they are about it, and the ones who weren't allowed to enter left a long time ago and aren't around to complain about it. So the illusion at this point is that it was successful. Looks like retrogressive fallacy here. Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question regarding udev games contest rule 8 mattness 29 11,621 Feb 25, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Long lost uDev entry.. Johan 8 5,597 Jan 29, 2009 02:46 AM
Last Post: Johan
  The uDev 3 Corun 16 9,281 Jun 14, 2005 02:38 AM
Last Post: Achenar