Passage

http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

I just read an article about the game's creator in a magazine... I highly recommend trying this out. It is a very unexpected game. Some sort of thoughtful game like this would be a wonderful entry into this year's uDG contest, and would be completely doable with the small resources of even a one-man team.

I sincerely recommend this to everyone who's a human.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
beautiful.

great story, great graphics.
Meh... didn't find it particularly deep or enjoyable.

This is a good one in a somewhat similar "metagame" fashion (flash): http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/...n-the-rope

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:Meh... didn't find it particularly deep or enjoyable.

This is a good one in a somewhat similar "metagame" fashion (flash): http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/...n-the-rope

it's actually VERY deep.

Please do not read this if you have not played the game:
http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passag...ement.html
DoG
This is indeed a very peculiar little game. Though I can't really agree with skyhawk about the graphics or story, as the story is more of a statement, and the graphics, while very appropriate and stylistic, don't really stand on their own. It's just one of those games where the whole is really much, much more than the sum of its parts.
Did anyone else find this game incredibly disturbing?

Very well executed, and I understood most of the symbolism from playing the game itself. But sheesh, I need to do something more upbeat now...
I found it depressing, and not really fun. Although, to have a game stir up emotion like that, I have to give it some kudos. It's more like a piece of art.

Kinda reminds me of Defect by John Kearney
It's one of those games that spends all its time trying to make a statement about _________, and along the way, completely forgets that it's supposed to be fun.

I can appreciate what it's trying to say about, for instance, the inevitability of death, but honestly, I can point out that same symbolism in Space Invaders. Only difference is I'd put more than one quarter into Space Invaders.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
tcIgnatius Wrote:Kinda reminds me of Defect by John Kearney

Fair warning (since it happened to me): This game changes resolution at startup and messes up the window sizes and positions of other running applications.
DoG
JustinFic Wrote:It's one of those games that spends all its time trying to make a statement about _________, and along the way, completely forgets that it's supposed to be fun.

I can appreciate what it's trying to say about, for instance, the inevitability of death, but honestly, I can point out that same symbolism in Space Invaders. Only difference is I'd put more than one quarter into Space Invaders.

I don't think this game even pretends that it wants to be fun in a conventional sense.

And you can certainly interpret Space Invaders in all kinds of ways and find symbolism, even though it's just coincidental.

These two games are completely different, and judging one by only comparing it against the merits of the other is pointless.
My main question is why use a game to express concepts that can be much more effectively and efficiently expressed with language?

We use games to give the player the feeling of being in the "action" much better than say telling him "you are a secret agent that must infiltrate a base and free his captured friends!".

But i can express this game by saying "Every second you get older, you can try and achieve things in life, you can get a wife that will hinder you and whatever you do you're going to die" and there's not much left that playing the game will give you (except for the depressing music).

DoG
Why use pictures? why use music?
DoG Wrote:Why use pictures? why use music?

With music, pictures, video, games etc. you can most often express much more than with words.

I just mean this is not the case with this game, besides the "statements" it makes there's not much left, the game itself is unplayable.

Najdorf Wrote:With music, pictures, video, games etc. you can most often express much more than with words.

I just mean this is not the case with this game, besides the "statements" it makes there's not much left, the game itself is unplayable.

I think perhaps the focus on the short length and very non-standard goal of the game is affecting your opinion.

I could probably say the same thing about a haiku poem... why would I limit myself to 5, 7, 5 form? I could say the same thing with a longer poem, or heck even a 100+ page book with many many words. However, the format of the haiku opens it up to a different type of interpretation, and therefore a different type of experience to the reader.

**SPOILER ALERT, do NOT read below this line if you have not yet played the game!**
Sure, the statements made in the game are pretty straightforward - just as some haikus meanings may be pretty straightforward - but the way the user experiences is unique. Living out an entire life, from young to dying of old age, is something I have never seen in electronic entertainment before.

The user who does not know what to expect, and has the experience of seeing "oh my, all of a sudden my little guy has gray hair, he aged really quickly," is having a different response and thought process than being told "you get old before you know it."

I could tell you "you will get old and get gray hair before you know it," or I could let you experience it. The effect it may have on you will be different.

The goal is different than a typical game, just like a dramatic movie has a very different goal than a comedy movie, or a 400 page novel has a different goal than a haiku poem.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Alright, good points.

I actually would have appreciated an underlying interpretation if the game was any good, as it is now it's more an "excuse" for a game.