uDG Size Limit Rule

20 megabyte compressed limit? What the heck? Smile If entrants are required to host these themselves, the limit is useless. It's a pointless poor limitation. Can the rules be tweaked ASAP?

The only reason I could see having a size limit is if it was taking into account the money of an entrance fee and what amount of bandwidth we'd be able to provide for hosting based on the fee. That's not the case.

Cheers,
-Jon
DoG
I do concur.
I agree with this.
Let the voters decide if the entry is too large! Power to the people! Smile

Cheers,
-Jon
Sage
Not that I care really, but... Don't people complain about file size limits every time and then nobody actually comes close to the limit anyway?

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Luminary
Each year there have been a number of people sitting right on the limit who'd probably've appreciated a higher limit.

The 20MB limit was because the $10 entry fee was to pay for hosting the games. Since Carlos has stolen the entry fee, and entrants now have to provide their own hosting, there is no reason for the size limit to continue to exist.
No, it's already affecting developers and it's critical to get this right at the start of the contest -- the planning and brainstorming phase. Someone in the IRC channel was already thinking of axeing a nice game concept because they feared it might be a huge headache down the road to get it under 20 megabytes. What if I wanted to create a DDR inspired game with emphasis on a lot of music I composed? (Hypothetically of course, I'm sponsoring not entering!) That'd be hard to make a complete game under 20 megabytes for that very valid and fun sounding concept.

There are definitely developers who would never think of going over 20 megabytes and who have never before. That might be a smart thing to do! But learning that along with figuring out "How am I going to host 20,000 downloads of my 800 megabyte game?" should be a part of the contest and the learning experience, because they are choices you make in the Real World.

Cheers,
-Jon
Sage
aarku Wrote:What if I wanted to create a DDR inspired game with emphasis on a lot of music I composed? That'd be hard to make a complete game under 20 megabytes

In that case, use smaller audio formats.

I agree a 20 meg limit is ridiculous. 2 megs would be better-- this is a developer site. Focus on writing code, not creating assets.
arekkusu Wrote:In that case, use smaller audio formats.
Sure if that works for your style of music and composition, otherwise you're left in the dust! I say that the developer should choose, not the contest rule.

arekkusu Wrote:I agree a 20 meg limit is ridiculous. 2 megs would be better-- this is a developer site. Focus on writing code, not creating assets.

This is a Mac & iPhone Game site, not a demoscene site! You're simply making unfounded assumptions about the developers wanting to enter the contest, here! The winners of uDevGames 2003 and 2004 had developers with strong artistic backgrounds. (Argonaut 2149 and ShineBug)

Even a lot of popular iPhone games are way over 20 megabytes, and we're targeting desktops and laptops!

Cheers,
-Jon
Meh whatever, just consider that I'll be expecting A LOT more from your 800 MB game when voting time comes... Ninja

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Personally, I'm cool with a 20MB limit. I think it's a good limitation, and it's twice what we had in 2004. There were tons of good-looking, polished entries back then, and now we have twice the breathing room.

A limit like 2MB or 10MB might be a little tight now, but that's mostly because it precludes people from using a tool like Unity (where, IIRC, your app starts at ~12 MB with the basic assets.) 20MB ensures that anyone can sign up, but you still have to be smart about how you use that 20MB.

If you're worried at the outset that you won't fit into 20MB, that might be a sign you need to scale back your concept.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Setting a 20mb limit helps the contestants because it forces them to limit the art and sound and be realistic about what resources they can properly create and polish within the contest's 3 month time limit.

It also means the judges and public don't have to download a few gigs of games to view them all. Keeping each game compact means there's no bias where only some of the games got downloaded and properly viewed.
I agree with the idea that 20 MB is way more than enough.
Luminary
This is a contest about game development, not a contest about programming, not a contest about limitations (other than time). If someone wants to limit themselves to 20MB, that's great. If they don't, I don't see why we should force it on them.

Finishing a game in three months is hard enough without imposing arbitrary restrictions like that music must be compressed within an inch of its life or supplied in a format that nobody has cared about for a decade.

When iDG was going to host the game there was a real practical reason to limit game size. Now it's arbitrary and serves no purpose other than to put additional pressure on entrants already under considerable pressure.
Programming is a part of the development of a game, so that can't be categorically excluded. It's true that if iDG/uDG isn't hosting it, then that takes away a substantial argument for the size limitation. But, there really is a modern necessity to show some serious restraint in application size, considering that the iPhone appears to be a very large segment of the pseudo-Mac game development arena. Heck, uDG 09 might be all about iPhone the way things are going!

Besides, why would anyone really need to use more than 20 MB? Movies? I mean, 20 MB is an awful lot of PNGs! Geometry definitely doesn't take that much. I could understand 15 MB of music I suppose, but still... My ears aren't that golden, so lower bit-rates are O-K.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion for rule change: prize distribution stevejohnson 18 9,979 Mar 8, 2009 12:35 PM
Last Post: DoG
  Question regarding udev games contest rule 8 mattness 29 11,684 Feb 25, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  uDG Rule Clarification: Eligibility #8 stevejohnson 28 10,893 Dec 8, 2008 04:13 AM
Last Post: DoG
  uDevGames 2008 size limit ThemsAllTook 12 6,386 Dec 6, 2008 07:43 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Was the file size limit a problem? BeyondCloister 17 8,500 Dec 1, 2005 07:48 AM
Last Post: whogben