uDG Size Limit Rule

BeyondCloister Wrote:The way to get around that would be to have a separate Technical Merit prize that is voted on by iDevGames members rather than the general public.
Excellent idea! Smile
BeyondCloister Wrote:The way to get around that would be to have a separate Technical Merit prize that is voted on by iDevGames members rather than the general public.

I think a technical merit prize would be a really good idea. There are a lot of cool things that could come out of this contest from a development point of view that might not make it all the way to a great game. But, it would still be nice to have these recognised for what they are.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Technical merit sounds great! It might be a bit late to change the 2008 rules at this point, but maybe this is something that could be considered for the next uDevGames?
You mean the "Spambots' Choice Award"? Wink
Actually, I think that is a great idea. (The iDG Members' Award, that is!)
I share ThemsAllTook's concerns about changing the rules after the start of the competition, although I suppose it affects everyone just as much really, and after only a couple of days that is very little.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:If iDevGames hosts games, there's a very real and measurable detriment to having no size limit. Bandwidth isn't free. The entry fee can cover some of it, but unless it's proportional to the size of the entry, someone could enter a 2 GB game after only paying $10 and cost Carlos a lot of money. The entry fee and the size limit both doubled since 2004, which is sensible.

My understanding is that Carlos is not hosting, so your point is invalid.
Nobody is going to make a 2GB compressed game in three months, and then give it away free, that is some absurd and irrational thinking going on.

What is in the pipe being passed around this place that makes so many so paranoid about so little?
backslash Wrote:You mean the "Spambots' Choice Award"? Wink
Actually, I think that is a great idea. (The iDG Members' Award, that is!)
I share ThemsAllTook's concerns about changing the rules after the start of the competition, although I suppose it affects everyone just as much really, and after only a couple of days that is very little.

Have a "Valued Members" award and only allow iDG Members who have been vetted and verified by Carlos and the mods before the end of the year to vote. (ie those of us who've hung around here for ages).
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:
Quote:The bigger your game, the fewer votes you may get. It's a penalty you pay anyway in terms of voting.

This is another assumption that is not backed up by real world examples as I
demonstrated in the macgamefiles top ten downloads.

Huh?

Proof of big files being popular is not proof that someone may not download your game because it's large. If AAA games were only 2 MB total, obviously more people would download them.

In a contest where there are 40 games to download and try, if each of them is 100 MB, who really is going to have the patience to download all ~4 GB worth? Obviously you pick the ones you think will have the best quality, but after a certain point, why wait to download a big game you think you won't even like anyway? But if it's smaller, you're more likely to download it and try it since it won't take as long. I do this all the time.

File size on the internet is always a concern and can conceivably affect the number of downloads. There's no real "proof" against it.

Any my point was that there doesn't need to be a limit on file size specifically to make sure people download it, because the larger your game is, you should know that there's a possibility people won't download it. The developers themselves can find that balance, it doesn't need to be imposed.

--

Quote:And then OTOH, those who are voting and have no knowledge of the technical stuff might ruin the technical category idea altogether. Hmm...

The public only votes for "Best Overall Game" anyway. uDevGames entrants vote on the other categories.

A "Technical" category is interesting, though I thought of it like, really neat game technology (like super fancy lighting, or dynamically generated terrain, procedural textures etc...). I don't think a category for things like specifically using the Preferences folder or PNGs is nearly equatable to writing a game with great Gameplay and winning that category. Actual game technology, though, is, I think, worthy of merit.

--

Quote:It might be a bit late to change the 2008 rules at this point, but maybe this is something that could be considered for the next uDevGames?

As it states in the rules, they can be changed at any time for any reason. Adding an additional category is not a game changer for anyone and could easily be added. The definition needs to be cleared up though, first. In IRC discussions, it was Polish that very broadly included "Mac-friendly" things (using the Preferences folder etc).
igame3d Wrote:My understanding is that Carlos is not hosting, so your point is invalid.
Nobody is going to make a 2GB compressed game in three months, and then give it away free, that is some absurd and irrational thinking going on.

What is in the pipe being passed around this place that makes so many so paranoid about so little?

Please tone down the flames. You're free to argue your perspective as long as you do it in a rational and respectful way. This post was not.
I am strongly considering entering uDG this year. When I found out about the size limit, I must admit that it had an immediate influence on me when considering a game idea (should I consider something somewhat large-scale or will I have to keep it simple?). I do not think that this should have been a factor at all in my quest for a game idea, so I vote to remove the size restriction.
One more for removing the limit.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Nibbie
My project will certainly be no where near 20MB, so this issue does not directly affect me. But plenty of other, more content aggressive, ideas could hit a limit without enough time to adapt a rich set of content to the space available.

Perhaps if the size becomes an issue in the future we could consider an alternative contest with a different set of goals, like a game that fits in a small DMG download (1M? 2M? 256K?). So that people who wish to operate under those restrictions will be competing against their peers. Those crazy 256-byte competitions in the PC/Amiga demo scene are way different beast than a more general competition and attracts a much different crowd.
I vote against the size limit.

My voice has been seen.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote:In a contest where there are 40 games to download and try, if each of them is 100 MB, who really is going to have the patience to download all ~4 GB worth?
Personally I'd be more put off by having to click on 40 separate download links than waiting for 4GB to download. It's nice having unlimited monthly bandwidth, but some people are unable to download more than 2 or 3 GB a month without getting slapped with huge charges so that's one (fairly weak) argument for some sort of limit.
If we had a downloader script which included (or obtained) links for all the final entries and downloaded the whole lot for you in the background would that help to alleviate the pain?
It would feel a bit slicker to me and certainly would alleviate the pain of downloading all the games separately.
There should definitely be a page full of raw download links so that I can use the DownThemAll Firefox extension.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Nibbie
I don't post often, but considering all of the current arguments, and my own personal opinion, the size limit cap is arbitrary. If I am having to host my own file, I think I should have the freedom to create anything I want.

On the other hand, no... I will not download 40 entries <100mb. Maybe instead of restricting size limit, create separate categories, create incentives for people to stay >20mb, or even just double the limit to >40mb.

Out of all the suggestions, I will stick with my own for a >40mb limit, as that is a lot of room to work with. Even if you wanted to make your next gen DDR simulator for the iPhone, it gives plenty of room. I could handle 40 downloads of 40mb, and I'm sure most other people could as well.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion for rule change: prize distribution stevejohnson 18 9,979 Mar 8, 2009 12:35 PM
Last Post: DoG
  Question regarding udev games contest rule 8 mattness 29 11,677 Feb 25, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  uDG Rule Clarification: Eligibility #8 stevejohnson 28 10,889 Dec 8, 2008 04:13 AM
Last Post: DoG
  uDevGames 2008 size limit ThemsAllTook 12 6,383 Dec 6, 2008 07:43 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Was the file size limit a problem? BeyondCloister 17 8,498 Dec 1, 2005 07:48 AM
Last Post: whogben