uDG Rule Clarification: Eligibility #8

Quote:Entries must be in a “double-clickable” form, and run on a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.5 on a 32-bit Intel-based Mac without the aid of translation software (such as Rosetta) and without requiring the installation of any libraries, frameworks, or plugins. Web browser-based entries (“web players”) are also not allowed.
The language makes it sound like scripting languages (e.g. Python) are not allowed in this contest. Was that your intention?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
No, that is not the intent. The intent was to rule out Rosetta, Parallels/VMWare, Basilisk II, Mini vMac, WINE (though not WineLib), etc.
Although not really on topic, I may as well chuck this in here:

Just checking the status on Unity apps? It was decided in the end that they are allowed, right?
OneSadCookie Wrote:No, that is not the intent. The intent was to rule out Rosetta, Parallels/VMWare, Basilisk II, Mini vMac, WINE (though not WineLib), etc.
I was pretty sure that was the case, but I wanted to get an official clarification. In that case, the language should probably be tweaked.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Founder
OSC/Seth,

If you think we need to tweak the working on the rules page or add to the FAQ, please let me know.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
⌘-R in Chief
kiwiMark Wrote:Just checking the status on Unity apps? It was decided in the end that they are allowed, right?

Does Unity conflict with rule 8? Are they double-clickable? Require extra installs? Run on 32-bit Intel without Rosetta?

Smile
Unity creates double-clickable apps. It can also create games that play in a web browser, but they make the usual mac application bundles as well.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
DoG
I think the rules are clear as they are. You can add whatever you want within your app bundle, so also an interpreter for any language of your choosing.
Founder
Unity games are fine.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Actually, doesn't the restriction on Rosetta seem a bit harsh? I mean, it's included on Intel OS X anyway and requires no conscious effort on part of the user to use. The only problem with it I can think of is performance, which I think would make sense to just take into consideration when rating the game. That is, unless there are near-future plans for Apple to remove Rosetta from OS X.
geezusfreeek Wrote:The only problem with it I can think of is performance

And power consumption, and heat (particularly a concern for laptop users). It also means you'd be developing exclusively for Macs that are more than 2 years old. This simply doesn't make sense for new software, even if Apple happens to (currently) provide a handy emulation layer built into the system. This restriction is just as sensible as disallowing games that launched in Classic in 2004.
If the rumours of Rosetta vanishing in Snow Leopard are true, then you could end up with a situation where a uDev winner won't actually run on a current Mac at WWDC if PPC only apps were allowed.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:This restriction is just as sensible as disallowing games that launched in Classic in 2004.

I don't think it's quite the same. Classic was not transparent. Rosetta pretty much is.

Zwilnik Wrote:If the rumours of Rosetta vanishing in Snow Leopard are true, then you could end up with a situation where a uDev winner won't actually run on a current Mac at WWDC if PPC only apps were allowed.

This sounds much more serious and convinces me.
⌘-R in Chief
New code that only runs on PPC is hard to come by. If something is really that much of a problem to run on Intel by now, the code isn't useful and thus isn't really desirable as an example to use in the future. Half of the purpose of the contest being to create code that people can learn from and reuse, having code that works only on a dead platform for who knows how long, is not useful.
Founder
Can you all provide an answer for me:

Quote:Does this allow entries built with http://www.opentk.com or http://www.taoframework.com as valid submissions? Games built with these libraries result in double-clickable executables, if proper OpenGL/OpenAL drivers and Mono (or .Net for windows) are installed.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion for rule change: prize distribution stevejohnson 18 10,278 Mar 8, 2009 12:35 PM
Last Post: DoG
  Question regarding udev games contest rule 8 mattness 29 12,190 Feb 25, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  uDG Size Limit Rule aarku 74 23,352 Dec 6, 2008 07:44 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook