uDG Rule Clarification: Eligibility #8

I think all games should include any dependencies that may not be on the user's machine already. If we end up lifting the size cap then this shouldn't be much of a problem (as long as the developer takes into consideration that people won't necessarily want to download 100 MB of data just to play their game). Since Mono has a pretty heavy footprint, it probably would not fit within the existing 20 MB cap.

Games should also still be double-clickable, even if there are dependencies. That is, the executable should either be statically linked or include the shared libs in the app bundle somehow.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Can you all provide an answer for me:

The answer is no. If Mono has to be pre-installed (and it's not by default), it will not work. The developer should build it so that mono could be included in the app bundle (if it's not too large assuming the limit remains).
Nibbie
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Can you all provide an answer for me:

I interpreted the spirit of the rule that apps can be dropped on any machine and you can run it by double clicking. No special setup, no external dependencies that aren't already on a standard Leopard/Tiger install.

I was going to do mine with X11, but a friend pointed out that X11.app isn't installed by default on Tiger. So I learned enough Cocoa. If we can just use whatever common framework out there that is installable then I could have done it in X11 or Tcl/tk or whatever and it would have been easier for me to get to a point where people can try out my game concept.
Luminary
The rules are clear; they may not require additional installation, however, it is possible to bundle Mono with the application (as Unity does).
OrangeTide Wrote:I was going to do mine with X11, but a friend pointed out that X11.app isn't installed by default on Tiger.
Rule 8:
Quote:Entries must be in a “double-clickable” form, and run on a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.5 on a 32-bit Intel-based Mac without the aid of translation software (such as Rosetta) and without requiring the installation of any libraries, frameworks, or plugins. Web browser-based entries (“web players”) are also not allowed.
Keeping Tiger compatibility is probably a good idea, but strictly speaking, using X11 is allowed since it is installed with Leopard by default.
backslash Wrote:Keeping Tiger compatibility is probably a good idea, but strictly speaking, using X11 is allowed since it is installed with Leopard by default.

I think X11 counts as "translation software".
ThemsAllTook Wrote:I think X11 counts as "translation software".
X11 is a dependency at most. You don't run your app "through" X11 like PPC code is run through Rosetta, you just make API calls that are carried out in X11.app. Ugly, but probably legal.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Luminary
X11 is legal.
⌘-R in Chief
Except not being on the system by default. Wink
X11 is installed by default on new Macs (which of course have Leopard on them). I don't know if it is the default option off the Leopard install disks though.

X11 does not *appear* to be slated to ever be removed from OS X, so it seems like a perfectly valid technology to use, and fits within the spirit and the language of the rules to me. I'm not a big fan of using X11 for porting new stuff, but if that means more great games get a Mac port, then so be it. And for the contest, if that helps contestants enter on the Mac, then that seems fine too.
It would lose points for not being particularly "Mac Like" in interface though (assuming it's not a full screen game), and it doesn't install by default on Tiger.
Zwilnik Wrote:It would lose points for not being particularly "Mac Like" in interface though (assuming it's not a full screen game), and it doesn't install by default on Tiger.

That would only happen if the voters are taking being Mac Like into account when voting. The voters do have a track record of not making any sense - especially when it comes to voting on originality!
Luminary
I actually don't know if X11 is installed by default during an upgrade to Leopard from Tiger. That should disallow it, I think.

Anyway, since there's basically no reason to use X11, I doubt it'll turn out to be problematic Wink
DoG
The rules clearly state that "entries must [...] run on a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.5 on a 32-bit Intel-based Mac." [emphasis added]

So X11 is allowed, even if you're not doing yourself any favour by excluding some potential voters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion for rule change: prize distribution stevejohnson 18 10,159 Mar 8, 2009 12:35 PM
Last Post: DoG
  Question regarding udev games contest rule 8 mattness 29 11,960 Feb 25, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  uDG Size Limit Rule aarku 74 22,980 Dec 6, 2008 07:44 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook