Understanding glColorMaterial

As an excuse to learn OpenGL I wanted to create a program to plot in 3D the nested magnetic flux surfaces of our Stellarator experiment. So far I have been able to create and color them correctly. This is what it looks like without lighting.

The colors are important. They represent the strength of the magnetic field. I want to add some lighting so that the 3D structures are more distinct. I'm trying to use glColorMaterial to add some highlight on top of the colors. My code is

- (void)prepareOpenGL {
    if(dataLoaded) {
        [self compileFluxSurfaces];
    glViewport(0, 0, [self bounds].size.width, [self bounds].size.height);
    glOrtho(-1.0*xScale, 1.0*xScale, -1.0*yScale, 1.0*yScale, 1.0, -1.0);
    glClearColor(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0);
    float specular[] = {1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.1};
    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPECULAR, specular);
    float diffuse[] = {1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.01};
    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_DIFFUSE, diffuse);
    float ambient[] = {1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.1};
    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_AMBIENT, ambient);
    float position[] = {1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0};
    glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, position);
    glColorMaterial(GL_FRONT, GL_DIFFUSE);
    glColorMaterial(GL_FRONT, GL_AMBIENT);
    glColorMaterial(GL_FRONT, GL_SPECULAR);

The code to draw the surfaces striped down to just the OpenGL calls. Note that I'm converting from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian that's why my vertexes have z and y flipped.

- (void)drawFluxSurface:(int)flux from:(int)phiStart to:(int)phiStop {
    for(int phi = phiStart; phi < phiStop; phi++) {
        for(int theta = 1; theta <= NUM_PHI; theta++) {
            if(theta%2 == 1) {
            glColor4d(red, green, blue, 1.0);
            glVertex3d(x1, z1, y1);
            glVertex3d(x2, z2, y2);
        glVertex3d(r1*cos(phi1R), z1, r1*sin(phi1R));
        glVertex3d(r2*cos(phi2R), z2, r2*sin(phi2R));

However this is what gets rendered.

I have been playing around with it turning on and off various things. I have three conclusions.

1. glColorMaterial(GL_FRONT, GL_DIFFUSE) has no effect. If I set it up to have Diffuse light the only light all I get is black regardless of what value I set the light intensity too.

2. Using only specular light I get the color on the highlights and black everywhere else. This is what I would expect. When I turn on ambient the highlights become blown out. The light intensity appears to have no effect on how bright the model is.

3. Setting GL_FRONT or GL_BACK also seems to have no effect. I not sure if the vector in glnormal3d has to be normalized or not.

Am I using this correctly? I haven't found a tutorial on the web that really explains glColorMaterial aside from saying it's an alternative to setting glMaterial. Is there a way to control how bright the specular highlights are? Why aren't the diffuse lights working.
Quote this message in a reply
Yeah normals must be normalized or you get lighting proportionally stronger-weaker based on the length of the vector.

just use

if you're not sure which side is the front

GL_SPECULAR values should be much lower than the diffuse light if i recall, if you're not using very high shininess (with glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SHININESS, shininess))

Your diffuse light alpha is way too low, much lower than your ambient light.

Also there's always some ambient light if you don't turn glLightModelfv(GL_LIGHT_MODEL_AMBIENT, lmodel_ambient); to (0,0,0,1)

Also you usually keep the GL_SPECULAR value materials white (as specular light is intended to reflect light completely without the absorbing that causes colors to appear), so you don't call glColorMaterial(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SPECULAR), keeping the specular component to the white default and not affected by glColor4d (you can still change it with glMaterialfv)

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
This may be beyond the scope of what you're doing, but in my experience, dropping glColor/glColorMaterial/etc in favor of GLSL and passing material properties as uniforms and attributes simplified my code greatly.
Najdorf Wrote:Yeah normals must be normalized or you get lighting proportionally stronger-weaker based on the length of the vector.

Thanks normalizing the vector fixed all the problems I was having.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Understanding multisampled FBOs Coyote 12 10,138 Nov 27, 2009 01:01 AM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Minor issue with understanding ExitToShell 15 6,940 Jul 13, 2005 10:22 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  glTexImage2D() &amp; memory understanding... sealfin 4 3,981 Aug 7, 2004 03:15 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie