Stupid UNIX/svn question

I decided to upgrade svn to 1.5. I used MacPorts because it seemed like the easiest thing to do. It worked fine, but when I type 'svn --version' in a terminal, it still says it's at 1.4.4. After poking around, I found that MacPorts had put svn in /opt/local/bin, while the system is looking at /usr/bin. Is there an easy way to make the newer version take precedence without manually deleting the old version? I'm afraid to meddle with things I don't understand.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Hm. I'm surprised MacPorts didn't add something like:
Code:
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
to your .profile file or something. Anyway, I think that's all you would need to add to have the MacPorts version of SVN be the default.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Strangely, those lines are already in my .profile.

Edit: As a temporary workaround, I told svnX to look in /opt/local/bin for the svn binaries, but I would still like to fix my system path issues. Also, svnX hasn't been updated in ages, and the only alternatives are the command line, or $60+ apps, as far as I can tell.

DoG
To avoid confusion, delete one of the SVN binaries. Both are in your $PATH, or maybe not, depending on which shell you start. So replace one of the binaries with a symlink to the other location.
I ended up taking DoG's suggestion and backing up the old binaries.

RapidSVN is much better than svnX. updated too. I use that. http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Converting unix SDL project to xcode Dominus 0 4,084 Jan 3, 2011 04:46 AM
Last Post: Dominus
  Stupid xcode question: How do I turn off precompiled headers? SourceIT 2 7,152 Aug 30, 2008 12:53 PM
Last Post: SourceIT
  How to turn unix executables into .app? leRiCl 8 7,506 May 9, 2008 05:54 PM
Last Post: leRiCl
  Two Stupid Xcode and debugger questions WhatMeWorry 3 3,437 Aug 13, 2005 04:48 PM
Last Post: WhatMeWorry
  BSD Unix to Mac OS X Carlos Camacho 5 3,190 Jan 13, 2004 09:08 AM
Last Post: Steven