?? About how many downloads the apps are getting

Nibbie
If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Either first hand knowledge or information you have heard or read would be fine.

I am doing market research and wonder how many application/game downloads are really occuring in the App Store/iTunes for iPhones/iPod Touch devices. I know how many total downloads they have (200 million), but any only concerned with Paid Apps/Games. So if anyone can answer these questions or share some light, thanks

1) How many of the 200 million downloads are from paid apps
2) Does anyone know how many paid downloads it takes to take the #1 spot daily, #10 spot, #25 spot, and #50 spot
3) How many apps/games have you paid for, and how many free ones have you downloaded.

Thanks again.
Quote this message in a reply
Hi jdawson,
We've posted our sales stats here:
http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/?p=9

Chris posted his Mouse House sales stats here:
http://bang2d.com/

And I think you'll find a bit more information if you look around.

Regarding your second question, the conventional wisdom is that you need around 100 sales a day to get in the top 100 list for paid apps. Once you're on the top application lists, you're golden. The top 100 list varies quite a bit for different app stores and different categories. David Frampton posted a nice ruby script that scans the App Store for ranking information.

Regarding #3, I've mostly just downloaded apps by people I know, or a few for market research into what makes a successful app.. I've got maybe 7 paid apps and two or three free ones.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
AndyKorth Wrote:Regarding your second question, the conventional wisdom is that you need around 100 sales a day to get in the top 100 list for paid apps.
Right now in the US store it seems you'll need 200+/day to scrape the bottom of the top 100, and much much more than that to get into the top 50 - it's pretty insane. 100/day should get you into the top 100 games list though.

AndyKorth Wrote:Once you're on the top application lists, you're golden.
I wouldn't go that far - visibility in iTunes doesn't hurt but it's been my experience that getting on the device (top 50, featured, etc.) gives an app far greater exposure.
Frank C. Wrote:I wouldn't go that far - visibility in iTunes doesn't hurt but it's been my experience that getting on the device (top 50, featured, etc.) gives an app far greater exposure.

Yeah, I was probably overstating it a bit. But yes, the higher you are rated in more categories, more exposure you'll get. It's also worth mentioning that being featured on the front page is pretty good, although it's Apple's choice who gets featured.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
3500 a day for free does not break top 100.
300/day does not break top 100 paid

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Downloads macmini 1 2,265 Aug 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Last Post: kodex