creating hybrid CDs

Apprentice
we're just about ready to create the final master image for our cross platform game, world of goo. i've been looking at my options for creating a hybrid mac/pc CD image and it seems like hdiutil makehybrid is the way to go. anyone have any other suggestions?

i'm also curious as to what exactly should go on the disc. thus far, we've been creating DMG images that just contain our app bundle and distributing them online. i'm assuming that it would be redundant to place a .dmg file on the cd though. would the correct thing to do just be to put the app bundle directly on the root of the CD? also, it seems like autorun options on the mac side are limited. do mac game CDs usually have any kind of auto run functionality or are users accustomed to digging out the app bundle themselves?

thanks very much for all your help - these forums are a huge help to the mac illiterate such as myself!
Quote this message in a reply
Mac users rarely get their stuff on CDs Wink

I dropped my Warcraft 3 CD im my Mac to check out how Blizzard does it and in some way it manages to hide the non-mac stuff in the CD, there's the mac installer, a "support" folder and a read me in the CD root.

You can certainly go with a simple app bundle or even a dmg, mac users won't have a problem dragging it into their apps folder (au contraire of windows users Rasp)
I wouldn't go for an auto-run myself, maybe an installer if you're concerned users might play the app directly from the CD.

BTW, congrats with world of goo, it's a nice little game Smile

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
pikmini Wrote:i'm also curious as to what exactly should go on the disc. thus far, we've been creating DMG images that just contain our app bundle and distributing them online. i'm assuming that it would be redundant to place a .dmg file on the cd though. would the correct thing to do just be to put the app bundle directly on the root of the CD? also, it seems like autorun options on the mac side are limited. do mac game CDs usually have any kind of auto run functionality or are users accustomed to digging out the app bundle themselves?

I'd Just put the app bundle on there with any Read-Me's you have. Some CDs will also have an alias to the /Applications folder for easy drag and drop, but it's not a requirement. And you can put a background image for your window in icon mode for general prettiness. (View Options in icon mode, background->picture)

And I definitely would not do any kind of autorun.
Autorun is an abomination used for the proliferation of viruses. Mad I make every effort to disable it on Windows. If you ever find a way to make disks autorun on the Mac please report it to Apple as a security threat.

I think the way the CDs are created is that rather than using a hybrid format CD (which works on Mac and Windows) it uses two sessions - one in Mac only format and one in Windows only format, or something along those lines.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First native iphone / sdl hybrid app???? michelleC 0 1,827 Mar 20, 2010 06:35 PM
Last Post: michelleC