Show me the money

Founder
Q. We send you donations... don't you just keep throwing money away as well as spending it to lead a lavish lifestyle?
A. Money I have received from donations (past and present) goes:

Recurring:
1. Hosting bill
2. Maintenance costs for vBulletin, Forum templates updates, CMS updates
3. Cost to send books/prizes in the past

One time fees:
1. Purchase of Expression Engine. Used originally for iDevGames, but now using license to drive uDevGames. (FYI iDevGames is on Word Press. I may switch it back to Expression Engine once I have learned more from my experiences with uDevGames site building)
2. Purchase of a php-based survey tool. Used for 2003 and 2004 uDevGames voting system. I will most likely use it again as it works well.
3. Purchase of iDG and iDA's forum templates
4. Template for uDevGames

I believe I have listed all one-time purchases.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
It's that time of the year again? Rasp Donated a few bucks.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
⌘-R in Chief
Well all know you're living off of überzone memberships in Cancun, Carlos.
Luminary
5) a whole lot wasted on paying a third party to edit preexisting content, which still hasn't appeared on the site.

Why don't you show us the results of *that* particular expenditure? Surely that's at least equivalent to 6-12 months' hosting.
Soon to be: 6) Keith's silence.
Actually, I kind of would like to hear someone explained exactly what happened with the Super Duper Member Content. Did it ever exist?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Founder
Quote:It's that time of the year again? Rasp Donated a few bucks.
No, we paid our 6 month hosting fee about 1 1/2 months ago if I recall.

Quote:Well all know you're living off of überzone memberships in Cancun,
If only I could, if only I could.

Quote:Actually, I kind of would like to hear someone explained exactly what happened with the Super Duper Member Content. Did it ever exist?
Not yet. It will.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Could we get an answer about the content editing, please?
Founder
Sure, but the more time I spend here is less time working on uDevGames. LOL

Short version: Switched to ExpressioneEngine based on strong recommendations. Had community member assisting me. Community member moved on. My knowledge was limited and I was in the middle of a move. I paid an outside developer to assist me/tutor me. (Please note that I will usually ask for help in the forum for specific areas first.) Time was taking longer than I expected, so I turned to an easier system to allow for the site to be refreshed, WordPress. You might think, lost money. I don't think so. Now that I have had enough time, and the knowledge gained, I've applied it to uDevGames.com. At some point down the road when uDevGames is running smoothly and my level has increased even more with Expression Engine, I'll switch iDevGames back to it.

Keep in mind two things please; some projects in life are funded but they don't end up as successful products. You can think of this as a game you might code. But knowledge isn't lost and you leverage it for the next product/project.

>Surely that's at least equivalent to 6-12 months' hosting.
No. It was about $25 x 3. And at the time our account was zero (as we just paid for hosting), so funded by me. Please keep in mind that the community gives, but I also give my share in both money and time working on the site, which hasn't made my computer-widow happy. (Not to underscore the importance of veteran members who donate their knowledge and the members who do in fact donate.)

Overall, not many sites in the Mac world date back to 1998. I don't run iDevGames perfectly, but I keep it going on my limited time/level/budget. Over the years, I have given up a great deal of time to work on iDevGames/uDevGames. IMHO, anyone can start a website, but not many have the determination to keep it going year after year. I've been asked from "sell me your site and you continue to work on it" to "give me all your files." Unless it is Steve Jobs doing the asking, I will keep on plugging along... doing my best to steer a community of developers.

BTW, we are 10 years old in December.

p.s. Next month I go for the first ever surgery of my life, so it might be prudent to assign someone to inherit iDevGames should I take on the big sleep.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Next month I go for the first ever surgery of my life, so it might be prudent to assign someone to inherit iDevGames should I take on the big sleep.
Dude you're getting knee surgery not open heart surgery, you're going to make it Rasp

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Founder
Quote:Dude you're getting knee surgery not open heart surgery, you're going to make it Rasp
OK, if I don't make it due to some freak accident, I will be sure to come back and haunt you whenever you code your games. Rasp

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Doctors make mistakes all the time. Carlos, get a black sharpie marker and write on your other knee "Not this one!". Also write on your chest "Do not cut here".

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
⌘-R in Chief
LOL

Founder
Andy, that made my day!!!! Yes, indeed you hear in the news all the time people getting the wrong part worked on. I think I should wear a cup as well so I don't wake up as Carla!

OK, you made my day so much that I have added a new postmortem to our site! Yes, new content! With images no less!

http://www.idevgames.com/postmortems/chimps-ahoy

Enjoy.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Show us your desktop Taxxodium 106 52,565 Apr 20, 2006 02:47 AM
Last Post: Justin Brimm