iPhone Developer Program Signup - A Rant

I'm going to rant for a bit, as it'll help me not put my fist through the wall.

The sign-up process for the iPhone developer program is a convoluted, buggy, POS. I've been trying for weeks to sign-up, and I fail every time. The first time I went to apply I canceled out of it early as I wasn't ready to spend the $99 and just wanted to see what the sign-up process was like. Big mistake. Canceling a sign-up bugs the app permanently, locking that account out of the program. On your next attempt you'll be asked to sign-in and then immediately get a page that says:

Quote:Your enrollment ID is yaddayaddayadda.
Please print this page for your records.
Next Steps

We will be contacting the legal representative you provided during the enrollment process for verification purposes. Please be patient as this may take several days to complete.

You will receive an email notification providing you with further instructions once we have verified your information.

While we process your information, please visit the iPhone Dev Center to download the iPhone SDK and access a wealth of technical resources.

You never entered any representative information, and no contact from Apple will be coming. Much googling revealed the nature of the bug, how you shouldn't cancel an app, and that you need to contact Apple to get your app reset. Apple's developer contact form is actually a black hole. No response or help.

I eventually give up on that and create a new dev account and try to sign-up again. I try to sign up as a company (as I want the apps to be from Killer Robots and not from me), and after selecting that option and actually filling out legal/technical/billing representatives, you're forwarded to the above quote page. Not long afterwards more reading reveals that I made another mistake. Trying to sign-up as a company causes Apple to not review your app for a minimum of three months. If you're lucky. There's people on forums talking about signing up six months ago, with still no response. If you want to change your application to an individual or change some other information? Too bad. You'll just be forwarded to that quoted page the instant you hit "Apply Now".

So I try a third account, this time signing up as an individual. I get farther than I've gotten before. The application asks you to confirm your enrollment information, so that it matches the billing info during the purchase process. The next page says "Purchase your iPhone Developer Program" with a big list of various countries. "Success!" I exclaim. Not so much. I click "United States" and I get "Sorry... Unable to enter the requested store." I hit back and try again. No change. If you try to start the application over, you again get the above quoted text. No email from Apple. No $99 in my Apple Store cart. I try on Firefox and Safari. "Unable to enter the requested store" every time.

I'm at my wit's end with this BS. It should not be this hard to give Apple $99 to waste on booze and hookers. When's Android come out?
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Been there. Done that. I had the same problems you did.

I had someone else go through the process, and for whatever reason it worked for them, so they copied the link to the store to buy the program, I hijacked their session, and then it worked for me. I did this just a few days ago.

I'd give you the same link, but the session id is invalid now, and I can't get a new one.
I finally got it working today. Reset Safari multiple times. Turned off all security measures. Reset it a few more times. But I was finally able to pay the $99. A couple hours later I get the email with the activation code, I click the link, and nothing. Copy and paste and nothing. Finally got it to work in Firefox by logging in, and then copy/pasting the link, and I can finally get into the developer portal. Hallelujah.

Actually getting the app onto the iPhone was a whole other set of problems. Quite a bit of google searching to find out that that the developer program guide is a damn dirty liar and Xcode definitely doesn't set your App ID automatically, and that you need to set it manually in the info.plist.

Now to figure out why I have to remove the app between every build because Build & Go gives an error about the app already being installed...
It sounds like you're doing something wrong because I haven't had anywhere near that difficulty for installing debug versions on the device. Xcode has handled all that stuff automatically for me, just build and it deploys no problem (except for occasionally having to reboot the device). Ad hoc was a different story altogether....
AnotherJake Wrote:It sounds like you're doing something wrong because I haven't had anywhere near that difficulty for installing debug versions on the device. Xcode has handled all that stuff automatically for me, just build and it deploys no problem (except for occasionally having to reboot the device). Ad hoc was a different story altogether....

It's entirely possible. I had to edit my CFBundleIdentifier in the info.plist to match my App ID. Before that I got an error with verifying my app during the install phase. Afterwards it installs fine, unless it's already on the phone, then I get a PreflightingApplication error and the console complains about the application already being installed. Removing the app from the iPhone before hitting Build & Go lets it be installed fine. Beats me.
Nibbie
I'm in the same boat when signing up for a dev account. I clicked cancel, now I'm stuck. Is there an easy way to pay my $99 and get signed up? What was involved in hi-jacking the session?
Founder
Bachus,

That's not a rant, its an editorial. Clean it up and send it to me and I shall post to the site. Maybe we can make an impact.

Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Nibbie
An update: apple replied to my email, within a couple of days, with a link that took be back to the "accept" page, so I could continue where I left off, and actually sign-up.

Their web page is broken, but at least they helped.
Apprentice
I have a Q... what does this program do for you? I'm not yet in the program but to my knowledge you don't need to have this to create an app.... (p.s. don't switch to android!)
DevelopInSeattle Wrote:I have a Q... what does this program do for you? I'm not yet in the program but to my knowledge you don't need to have this to create an app.... (p.s. don't switch to android!)

You need to be a member of the iPhone developer program to publish an App through the App Store.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
⌘-R in Chief
You also need to be a member of the program to get your app on any phone, even your own. (Unless you jailbreak it which is forbidden!)
Nibbie
I signed up last week and still the page says

"Enrollment in Identity Verification Stage "

How long does that take and is there a way of knowinga more detailed status?

Does sending an email to Apple help?

Thanks for any feedback.

A.
Thanks for posting this, it's quite educational. I'm not ready to deploy anything to my iPod, which I haven't bought yet (waiting for the new ones), though when I am, I'll be sure not to hit the cancel button. That's insane! I'm glad things are better now for you. Smile

~Achithyn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mac Developer Program lower price ($99) gatti 6 5,235 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 AM
Last Post: bronxbomber92