OpenGL|ES tutorials - Follows NeHe track.

Nibbie
Hey. Just wanted to let you know that these tutorials are great and have been very useful.

Look forward to them continuing!
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
Agreed,

Excellent tutorials.

Keep them up!
Nibbie
I'd just like to say that I accidentally stumbled upon this forum while trying to find open GL tutorials for iPhone and really found your tutorial useful. Thanks a lot!
I have a friend who is using the Stanford iphone tutorials right now, but he eventually wants to learn OpenGL. I'll send him this thread, I bet he'll find the tutorials useful.
Hello!
Very nice tutorials.

I just completed Lesson 1 and I would appreciate a little help.
I've followed the examples exactly and replaced all GLGravity with OpenGLCore. Both the names of the project-file and the folders as well as in the code of the classes.

But still when I compile my code, the compiler create an application named GLGravity.app
I want it to create a name of my own choice, in this case: OpenGLCore.app

Anyone who know how to accomplish that?

/Lightlab
Nibbie
lightlab Wrote:But still when I compile my code, the compiler create an application named GLGravity.app
I want it to create a name of my own choice, in this case: OpenGLCore.app

This is controlled in your project's Info.plist file. I believe the "Bundle display name" is the option you're looking for, but you might want to update the "Bundle name" and "Executable file" as well.
Michael Kerley Wrote:This is controlled in your project's Info.plist file. I believe the "Bundle display name" is the option you're looking for, but you might want to update the "Bundle name" and "Executable file" as well.

Thank you for the help!
It works fine now. Smile

What is the next step in learning OpenGL ES for iPhone?
It's hard to find guides and tutorials about OpenGL ES for iPhone but easy to find information about OpenGL ES in genereal.

Should I read about OpenGL ES? How do I know how to put the code when programming for the iPhone?
Nibbie
In lesson one I am unable to build near the beginning of tutorial for the line:

size = zNear * tanf(DEGREES_TO_RADIANS(fieldOfView) / 2.0);

says that I am declaring degrees_to_radians, and I missing a header file or something?
Nibbie
Hi, I also had this issue. You need to put back the code #define DEGREES_TO_RADIANS(__ANGLE__) ((__ANGLE__) / 180.0 * M_PI)
This is to go with the other #define. I guess we weren't meant to delete that one.
Apprentice
hey dragagon

Thanks for porting/posting these tutorials.

I have a question though - why do the drawing stuff in AppController when the other iPhone examples have other classes for setting up all the rendering code?

Does it really make much of a difference?

thanks,
david
Nibbie
Awesome tutorials! Been a while since I've done some OpenGL and these are some nice tutorials to refresh my memories Smile

Also, I strongly recommend using Jeff's Custom Empty OpenGL template. Although the GLgravity project isn't bad, Jeff's custom template is a lot better!

Oh, and when can we expect Lesson #6 and so on? Rasp
Nibbie
hai,
please provide the tutorial of textures as u promised, i am waiting for it

Thanks
Nibbie
Thanks very much for these tutorials. This is very helpful.

Note, however I am having trouble with Lesson 3 (adding colours to the triangle.) It keeps crashing on me. To make sure I didn't mistype something, I did a full copy and paste of the drawView function and it is still crashing.

It seems to be related to setting the colours, if I comment out the one line "glEnableClientState(GL_COLOR_ARRAY)", then it runs without crashing (but of course, the triangle is still white.

Note that I followed the template exactly as described and lesson 2 was fine.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Nibbie
cmason Wrote:Thanks very much for these tutorials. This is very helpful.

Note, however I am having trouble with Lesson 3 (adding colours to the triangle.) It keeps crashing on me. To make sure I didn't mistype something, I did a full copy and paste of the drawView function and it is still crashing.

It seems to be related to setting the colours, if I comment out the one line "glEnableClientState(GL_COLOR_ARRAY)", then it runs without crashing (but of course, the triangle is still white.

Note that I followed the template exactly as described and lesson 2 was fine.

Thanks a lot for any help!

As an update, Lesson 04 works fine as well with the triangle rotating, but again, I need to leave the color line commented out or it crashes.
Nibbie
Ok, please disregard. I re-read the thread and Andy1988's comment fixed it for me. I was just running on the simulator, not the iphone, and it still wasn't working.

However, changing it to:

glColorPointer(4, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0, triColors);

and adding an extra 0 to each line in triColors fixed it.

I guess they updated the SDK since that posting and fixed the simulator behaviour!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Track down an autorelease bug kendric 2 3,256 Jun 28, 2009 05:09 AM
Last Post: kendric