win32 / osx equivalents

Apprentice
as someone who has never played a game on a mac before, i was wondering if someone might be able to give me a sense of what the osx equivalents of the following are:

- full screen / windowed mode toggle. on windows, it's usually alt+enter.

- save data storage location. on windows i would put the save data under /<user>/Application Data/<our game>/save.data. i currently have it under /<user home dir>/Documents/<our game>/save.data on osx, is this what most games do?

- minimum OS to guarantee support for. obviously, we'd like to support OS versions as far back as humanly possible. realistically though, we only have so much time and money for testing (although beta testers can help.) on windows, windows XP is pretty much the minimum that most people are likely to be running. we would be better off spending time improving the quality of the game itself rather than improving compatibility with windows 98 for example. is there a similar minimum version of OSX that i should target?

thanks very much!
Quote this message in a reply
1) Command-F or Command-0 are used in various Apple apps. World of Warcraft uses Command-M. I don't think there's really a standard. (Just make sure that Command-Q quits the game whether it's in full screen or windowed).

2) There's this page from Apple on the subject, but it's not actually too helpful on where to put save data. If it's small save files that the user will never have to move, perhaps the user preferences folder would be best. I don't think I'd like my documents folder to be affected by a game.

3) Lots of people target the latest two versions (10.4 and 10.5), but there are always people with earlier systems. Pages like http://update.omnigroup.com/ can be useful (but bear in mind the different audience).

Hope that helps.
maximile already covered it pretty well, but if I had my own preference(s) I'd say:

1) We've had discussions on this before, without concrete conclusion. Seems like command-f is the way to go for full-screen, even though that is commonly used for "find" on the Mac. I'd say, if you're app also uses a "find" function then "find" should be command-f and "full-screen" should then be demoted to command-shift-f. Bottom line: command-f should probably be best for full screen games on the Mac.

2) ~/Library/Application Support/<our game>/save.data

3) I don't think I'd target any further back than, say, 10.3.9, and even then, I'd probably push for 10.4 and above. Purely your call on this one though...
pikmini Wrote:- full screen / windowed mode toggle. on windows, it's usually alt+enter.

- save data storage location. on windows i would put the save data under /<user>/Application Data/<our game>/save.data. i currently have it under /<user home dir>/Documents/<our game>/save.data on osx, is this what most games do?

- minimum OS to guarantee support for. obviously, we'd like to support OS versions as far back as humanly possible. realistically though, we only have so much time and money for testing (although beta testers can help.) on windows, windows XP is pretty much the minimum that most people are likely to be running. we would be better off spending time improving the quality of the game itself rather than improving compatibility with windows 98 for example. is there a similar minimum version of OSX that i should target?

1) I like Command-M since that's what every Blizzard game uses. Not too many games offer a hotkey for window/fullscreen, so it's probably not a huge deal.

2) Some games stick it in ~/Documents/GameName (Halo, SimCity 4, Knights of the Old Republic), but it should probably be in ~/Library/Application Support/GameName (Doom 3, UT2K4).

3) 10.2.8 is the absolute minimum, but I wouldn't bother with that for new apps. 10.3.9 is relatively easy to support if you're not using any 10.4-only technologies, but 10.4 as a minimum is usually fine. In general if they haven't bothered to update to 10.4 yet they aren't going to bother buying your game.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cross Compiler for Win32 bronxbomber92 2 2,710 Dec 17, 2007 05:18 PM
Last Post: Terrydil
  Win32/DirectX to OSX/OpenGL: Initial request for help for spare time project Toby at home 13 7,700 May 12, 2007 01:26 PM
Last Post: ChrisD
  flex / bison port from win32 to OSX majestik666 4 3,374 Feb 6, 2007 04:10 PM
Last Post: majestik666