iPhone, Will history repeat itself?

Just wait—the iTunes app store will be the demise of the iphone. You can't throttle your developers and expect them to want to develop for your platform... I'd take the android any day of the week, java or not.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Quote this message in a reply
If anything, the iTunes store isn't throttling devs enough. There's very little control over what apps get onto the store compared to consoles for instance and devs can throw very primitive and unplayable games on there that don't exactly help the iPhone look great.
Yes, well, it's still very restrictive. No scripting? No other venues of distribution unless you pay $99 for a dev account? I dunno, there's not much to be said for it aside from quality control...

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Apprentice
I've learned over the years to never discount Microsoft and the Zune may be the launching pad for a MS Phone. Of course the Zune has a ways to go but people said IE would never overtake Netscape as well and that the XBOX would never overtake Sony.

Given that, as a newcomer to the iPhone dev platform I will tell you that Microsoft with their Community Game System and XNA is WAAAAAY ahead of the game in terms of an easy to use game dev SDK/Platform. The XNA toolkit is so much more advanced than the iPhone Open GL ES implementation it's sad really (more like painful as I have to go back now and write things I haven't had to touch in 2 years.)

I've always liked Apple and Macs but as a developer I want a platform that is robust, with tons of sample code, and an easy publication system. Right now iPhone has 1 out of 3 in my first opinion as being new to this (the iTunes publication system is straightforward.) If they want to compete on the games front they need a wrapper above Open GL ES that can stand toe to toe with XNA.

Anyways, I am NOT a MS fanboi by any means. Just stating how I feel coming from XNA development and adjusting to the iPhone. I honestly feel like I've gone back in time 2 years.
I'm a major fan of XNA, but it does have to run through a virtual machine, which would be a significant performance penalty on iPhone-class hardware devices. A zune phone wouldn't do well under that restriction, in comparison to the iPhone, so MS would have to choose some other "bare-metal" path, other than XNA, to lure amateur developers (AAA game houses would not likely be restricted). I don't know how they'd do it, but anything is possible I suppose...
Duane Wrote:Yes, well, it's still very restrictive. No scripting? No other venues of distribution unless you pay $99 for a dev account? I dunno, there's not much to be said for it aside from quality control...

Compared to all the other consoles, only one venue of distribution, $5000 - $10,000 *per devkit* for a dev account, no scripting (most certification processes pretty much ban it or will give you grief if you use it).

Compared to those, it's not very restrictive at all. In fact the one factor you point at in its favour, quality control, is actually much more loose than the certification processes for the other consoles.