Help Getting Started

Apprentice
Hi all,

I am new here and i would like to start a project for hobby purpposes. I am an old gamer, i loved the Citadel game ( you an see it here: http://mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php?...ame&id=479 ), and i would like to do a Strategy RPG, kind of Diablo but with a topdown view ( ok, i give up trying to describe my image, it should look like a "Dungeon Revealed" ( linked here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dungeon_Revealed ) but with better sprites, and while the conbat in Dungeon Revealed was movement based ( you basically bumped into the enemies ) i am visualizing combat like the experience you have in a Dungeons and Dragons Mat. Turn Based, and activating different abilities.

I know this is a lot for a first post, but maybe that will give you an idea of what i would like to accomplish. The game should be randomly generated so that i could play it as well. I am undecided on the Party Management, in the mean time if it is only one character, movement on the map should be by arrows keys.

It would be a kind of Ultima Remake, but randomly generated. I am not sure if crafting could be implemented.

Please Help ?
Quote this message in a reply
This is a giant undertaking for a project even to an experienced developer.

What is your current programming/graphic experience? If this is the first time you are programming anything you may want to start with a Pong clone, that will be a hard enough project to get your feet wet.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Apprentice
I know it is huge,

but pong will not hold my attention. Maybe you are right.. i just thought to do some rogue like interface first. Purely text based although that could prove challenging in its own right.
I have seen it more times then you can imagine. If you start with too big of a project you will get frustrated and give up in a couple of weeks. If you really want to learn how to develop games start very very small. A good intro project is getting a colored triangle to appear on the screen. Then progressing to moving it, then user input, ect.

Pong is a pretty big undertaking in its own right when you think about it. You have to handle game logic, timers, graphics, user input, as well as the basics to even get an project to run on a computer. There is more then enough to hold you attention with it.

I dont want to discourage you but even a text based project with what you are describing is a very serious undertaking that could take a year to complete working 5-10 hours a week on it.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
onedeveloper Wrote:Maybe you are right.. i just thought to do some rogue like interface first. Purely text based although that could prove challenging in its own right.

That's not going to make it much easier.

Consider many roguelikes' source is several MB of size, which means hundreds of thousands of lines, kind of a 2500 page book of code.

Only crazy people can finish a roguelike Rasp

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
You may want to check out DROD I'm pretty sure I saw my seven year old daughter using a level editor for it.
If I did in fact see that you could "hobby" your little game until you've had enough of it.

I started a zombie genre simulation game that was supposed to work like D&D but it is kind of turning into an RTS,
with that whole random level thing happening...which makes building levels based on plot a little difficult.

Design your game with lots of notes and ideas, while you tinker with smaller projects and try out some play mechanics as you go along.

Good luck.
Apprentice
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, and i will be sure to follow them and chronicle/pester the user base here with my progression or lack of thereof.
Apprentice
Quick Question... Blink

I want to start with something like tic-tac-toe, pong requires animation and i am not ready to tackle that yet, but i was wondering if anybody here has had experience with the "Foundation Tool" in Xcode and if i can get anything like ncourses working in it?

Also, maybe not the right forum but i am going to ninja this question...Ninja
What is the main difference between the Foundation tool and the Core Foundation Tool and CoreServices Tool in XCode?

Finally and i hope i am not abusing this forum kindness,
I want to program in cocoa, but i get a nagging feeling sometimes because if i make a hit... Dont laugh, it could happen.. then it would be hell to port to other systems... son my question is this, once long ago, i dabbled in Java, but java has changed a lot in the last years. IF, and thats a big IF, i was to try my hand in it, how easy or hard would it be to make games in it? also, could i call OpenGL libraries? how would it compare to ruby for portability?

Thanks in advance all,

Luis
onedeveloper Wrote:I want to start with something like tic-tac-toe, pong requires animation and i am not ready to tackle that yet, but i was wondering if anybody here has had experience with the "Foundation Tool" in Xcode and if i can get anything like ncourses working in it?

You should be able to, yes, though I haven't done it myself.

onedeveloper Wrote:Also, maybe not the right forum but i am going to ninja this question...Ninja
What is the main difference between the Foundation tool and the Core Foundation Tool and CoreServices Tool in XCode?

Foundation, CoreFoundation, ans CoreServices are all different APIs. The names might be a bit confusing, but you can look each one up on developer.apple.com to see what they are. The project template you choose sets you up to work in that API, but by no means locks you into it, so to some extent it doesn't really matter what project template you choose.

onedeveloper Wrote:Finally and i hope i am not abusing this forum kindness,
I want to program in cocoa, but i get a nagging feeling sometimes because if i make a hit... Dont laugh, it could happen.. then it would be hell to port to other systems... son my question is this, once long ago, i dabbled in Java, but java has changed a lot in the last years. IF, and thats a big IF, i was to try my hand in it, how easy or hard would it be to make games in it? also, could i call OpenGL libraries? how would it compare to ruby for portability?

Some of our forum members have made successful games using Java and OpenGL (this, for example), so it certainly can be done. I'll have to let someone else answer for its ease of use and comparability with Ruby.

As for cross-platform Cocoa applications, it's easier to port them if the platform-specific code is well isolated from the "core", which you'd implement in C, C++, or something else more portable. Objective-C is theoretically portable, but I've never been able to get it to compile on other platforms. However, I'd advise not to worry about this until you have a few games under your belt - worst case, you might have some refactoring to do when you want to make a port, but you'll have an easier learning experience if you worry about one thing at a time, and leave "what ifs" for later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help with getting started Filsk15 9 8,017 Nov 19, 2011 10:38 AM
Last Post: fugufish
  Getting Started makinggames 9 6,313 Jun 17, 2009 05:15 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  PTK w/ XCode getting started RotaJota 0 2,109 Jun 29, 2006 08:03 AM
Last Post: RotaJota
  Getting Started hams 14 6,171 Jun 12, 2003 11:09 AM
Last Post: aaronsullivan