Do not know were to start!

Nibbie
Brody McCrone Wrote:When I click the drop down menu all the builds are grey.
Sounds like you haven't got a project loaded. Simply opening a sample .c file won't get you very far (assuming that that might be what you did) because xcode requires to know a little more about your program in order to build it.

If you create a project the way you describe and it then won't let you compile, maybe make a screenshot of what you're doing and it may hint to what you've done differently.
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
AnotherJake Wrote:Not to me. This thread represents *exactly* how I see the situation...

Exactly, there is no correct way to get into game programming. In the oldskool days you hadn't got much choice. Basic didn't get you very far but was great for learning the basics of programming, and then you would either go assembly or C, assembly being the obvious choice because back in those days you needed to utilize every cycle of your CPU to make your game run smoothly.

Now you have loads of choice, the choice you make have a lot to do with what you want to accomplish. Do you like designing games but don't necessarily want to get into heavy programming, game toolkits are the way to go. Are you more interested in learning to do everything yourself because you want to get at the heart of things or do something new, both C(++) and Python are good contestants.

Using existing libraries out there can give you a head start, but may in the end result in a longer learning curve once you've run past their limits.
Mux213 Wrote:... and then you would either go assembly or C, assembly being the obvious choice because back in those days you needed to utilize every cycle of your CPU to make your game run smoothly.

Well, that, and assembly was often preferred because some C compilers at the time could cost as much as the computer!
Nibbie
AnotherJake Wrote:Well, that, and assembly was often preferred because some C compilers at the time could cost as much as the computer!
Hehe ,well I think that was even before my time Smile

Then again, the days I worked with assembler are also long gone. Smile
Quote:"You kids have it easy! In my day, we had to toggle all our programs into the computer with switches. In binary. Hex, schmex!"

"You had switches? We only had one switch, and it was in the machine room, five miles away from the terminal we had to use. We had to walk five miles uphill, both ways, to enter a single bit of our program. And we liked it that way!"

"Ha! In my day, we didn't have these fancy switches. All we had was ones and zeros, and we had to bang two rocks together to get the ones!"

"Ones? You had ones?!"
. ...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Apprentice
OK! SCREW XCODE! Mad I am using BlitzMax , everything about it is easy. But I do Have A Probem. This is my script:

Graphics 320,500,0
DrawRect 160,470,20,20
X=0
Y=0
Cls
Y:+1
DrawRect X,Y,150,150
Flip
If AppTerminate()
End

When I try to build and run it , it says "Compile Error Expecting expression but encountered end-of-file".

I can't see what is wrong with it.

Dogs
⌘-R in Chief
Brody McCrone Wrote:OK! SCREW XCODE! Mad I am using BlitzMax , everything about it is easy.

Good idea. It's best to start with something simple and easy to use so you can focus on wrapping your brain around learning how to program first, not figuring out how to use the flippin tools properly.

(I've never used it, so I don't know the syntax and can't help you, sorry.)
You need to write "endif" at the end. Still this code draws only one frame and then quits.

Btw great choice (well worth the $80) & good luck.

Apprentice
I have not paid for it yet. I do not see the reason too anyways. Every month you just redownload it. If their is a reason I will.

Dogs
Processing and Python/Pyglet are as easy as BlitzMax and *free*, but Blitzmax will work just fine for game programming if you pay for it.

If you want to use it for more than a month, you *should* pay for it. The developer went through a lot of hard work to make that. If you ever want to be compensated for your own work, then I suggest you get in the habit of compensating others for theirs.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Apprentice
I did not think of it like that. Also I tried processing and I was not having much fun with it so I just went on to Blitz Max and I was having fun.

Dogs
kodex Wrote:You will need to head over to developer.apple.com and sign up for a free account. Once you get that all setup then download a copy of Xcode. Xcode is your compiler and it is where you will write, test and run your code from.

If I'm correct, you must be 18 or older to agree -- don't know why, but that's just the case. However, you can pull Xcode off of your Leopard (assuming, of course, that you're running Leopard) install DVD.

EDIT: y'know, I think -- with parent/legal guardian permission -- you can sign a binding contract. I mean, I've seen plenty of EULA preambles that say something to that effect.
aardvarc Wrote:If I'm correct, you must be 18 or older to agree -- don't know why, but that's just the case. However, you can pull Xcode off of your Leopard (assuming, of course, that you're running Leopard) install DVD.

I do believe you are correct. 18 is age of consent in the US, and since you are signing a binding contract you will need to be 18+. Good catch.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
I think it wise to stray away from BASIC or any of its derivatives (imo) -- aparantly, others agree. But that's just my opinion -- if BASIC (or, in your case, BlitzMax) gets you hooked, well that's all well and good, but keep in mind that C isn't some kind of insurmountable thing, so you might as well give it a shot.

As far as the trouble you seemed to have with Xcode, well, single-file projects are probably best left to the terminal -- master a command-line editor like Vim (which comes with all Macs), and you never have to pull your fingers off the keyboard.

Compiling is as simple as, well, what was said before:
Code:
gcc filename.c -o filename

Compiling with frameworks (which you'll probably learn about some time or another) is as simple as using the "-framework" option.

For a file that makes use of GLUT and OpenGL (correct me if I'm wrong):
Code:
gcc filename.c -o  -framwork GLUT -framework OpenGL

Happy coding Smile
Quote:I think it wise to stray away from BASIC or any of its derivatives

Blitzmax is not BASIC. It's more like a safe subset of C++ with built in lists and automatic garbage collection.

Though yes once you need more than the built-in features (which still are adequate for almost any 2d game) it's the time to switch to C (so you can use the goodness provided by others).