Do you use time machine?

I use Time Machine for backup and SVN for version control (and for keeping my MacBook Pro and my iMac synchronized). Time Machine doesn't seem to work well for version control in the true sense, SVN doesn't work well for backups, but both together make a fine team. I also have two external hard drives for TM that I regularly swap, with the second one residing at my parent's home, to be extra certain.

Does anyone mind if I use this opportunity to hijack this thread? I'm just wondering: What is the consensus on what distributed VCS to use, especially if I want to keep all my SVN history? Being a poor student I can't afford my own SVN server, and I can go weeks without the option to synchronize my laptop and my desktop at times. I've heard about git and the like, but I'd also want something that works well on Windows, and if possible works with the (little but still at times helpful) Xcode integration.
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
There is no concensus on what (D)VCS to use. Personally, I use bazaar. The usage is very similar to svn, with the exception of using pull instead of doing checkouts, and that commits are local until pushed. I've been using it on Windows and OS X for the past year or so, no incidents so far.

There's no Xcode integration for any DVCS, though supposedly some people are tinkering with it.

Also, most, if not all, DVCSs have interoperation modules that are able to import a subversion repo, and also to commit changes to it, should you decide to keep a central SVN repo in a transition period.
Add me to the list for using time machine for backup and SVN for version control. Time machine isn't really suited for version control, since you only get at best 1 hour snapshots, and at worse 1 month, while an actual versioning system will give snapshots for every change you commit.

If you're looking for a place to hold a SVN repository, I would suggest Dreamhost. You get web hosting, SVN (as well as CVS), and many other things for a pretty cheap price. Plus you get the benefit of your project being stored off site with regular backups.
DoG Wrote:There is no concensus on what (D)VCS to use. Personally, I use bazaar. The usage is very similar to svn, with the exception of using pull instead of doing checkouts, and that commits are local until pushed. I've been using it on Windows and OS X for the past year or so, no incidents so far.

There's no Xcode integration for any DVCS, though supposedly some people are tinkering with it.

Also, most, if not all, DVCSs have interoperation modules that are able to import a subversion repo, and also to commit changes to it, should you decide to keep a central SVN repo in a transition period.

bazaar looks great, I'll give it a try. Thank you!
ThemsAllTook Wrote:That wasn't my experience. What sort of problems did you run into?

Well, first off, attempting backing up 150GB over 802.11g wasted a many hours of my free time.

From there I went to just backup over ethernet, which then introduced new problems with switching the configuration between network shared client to a node in wireless bridgemode.

Finally, there's a bug with the Time Capsule or Time Machine (not sure which) where when my laptop's uptime exceeds ~3 weeks the backup begins to completely fail. Unfortunately I didn't figure out that rebooting fixed this until after attempting to wipe and re-backup 180GB to the TC.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
I've had to work with Time Machine on a clients computer and I found it clunky. I would never use it for version control.

I've use SVN and CVS on my gentoo media server.

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses