uDevGames 2008

Nice to see this rolling again Love

I wouldn't have gotten my wonderful job at Timegate Studios had it not been for uDevGames.

Also, for those wondering, I will not be doing Arena Style Soccer for this UDG.
Quote this message in a reply
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Can someone translate from German to English?
http://www.maclife.de/index.php?module=P...d=5&pid=26

Grin Yep:

"Der Name deutet es schon an: Ark-Annoyed ist eine Variante von Arkanoid. Was macht man, wenn ein zwanzig Jahre altes Spielprinzip für ein 32/64-Bit-System umgesetzt werden soll? Richtig, man bringt es in die dritte Dimension.
3D ist in Ark-Annoyed nur ein grafischer Gag, denn es wird nicht in die Tiefe gespielt. Statt dessen kann das Spielfeld etwas gekippt werden, was jedoch keine Auswirkungen auf den Ball hat. Die verschieden großen und bunten Steine kommen mit dem Effekt grafisch gut rüber.
Beim Spielen merken alle Kenner von Arkanoid, dass Ark-Annoyed zwar das Grundprinzip (ein Schläger muss mit einem Ball Steine abtragen), nicht aber dessen Extras übernommen hat. Immerhin ist die Ballphysik gut und ein Editor für weitere Level enthalten.

Fazit:
Durch das völlige Fehlen von Extras und Gegnern wird das Spiel auf Dauer öde. Zudem hat das Spielprinzip schon einen sehr langen Bart - und wurde in all den Jahren zu oft kopiert."

"As the name suggests, Ark-Annoyed is an Arkanoid-style game. What do you do when you want to convert a twenty year old game to a 32/64 bit system? You make it 3 dimensional.
The third dimension is just a nice addition, though, because the gameplay is in 2 dimensions only. Instead, the playing area can be tilted, which however has no influence on the ball. The differently sized and colored bricks and the effects make for a good impression in terms of graphics.
When playing, people who know the original will notice that Ark-Annoyed uses the basic principle of using a bat and a ball to remove bricks, but not the extras Arkanoid had. At least there is an editor for more levels, and the ball physics are accurate.

Conclusion:
Because extras and enemies are missing, the game becomes boring after a while. Also, the game idea is very old - and has been copied too many times."

"Dank 3D wirkt das Spiel auch in höheren Auflösungen gut."
"Thanks to the 3d graphics, the game still looks good in higher resolutions."

It was pretty difficult to convert this to english as it has many german-only expressions/structures. Also in my opinion the german text isn't of very high quality.
Founder
PowerMacX Wrote:I registered and verified that my (mostly empty) profile appears on the member's list, but I can't seem to actually login.

FYI< if you register, your status is simply "Member". I am manually approving all Members and changing their status to "Developer". Once you are a Developer, you will then be listed in the Developer's list.

When you say you can't login, are you at the front page? Look to the top right.

Quote:Also, for those wondering, I will not be doing Arena Style Soccer for this UDG.
I'll need to call your boss than and see to that.

Thanks so much _ibd_. It is good enough.

SkyHawk, do you still have your past spreadsheets of the results?

Thanks,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:FYI< if you register, your status is simply "Member". I am manually approving all Members and changing their status to "Developer". Once you are a Developer, you will then be listed in the Developer's list.

Clicking on "Login" simply kept redirecting me to the front page, but I just tried it again now and it worked.
Carlos Camacho Wrote:FYI< if you register, your status is simply "Member". I am manually approving all Members and changing their status to "Developer". Once you are a Developer, you will then be listed in the Developer's list.

I'll need to call your boss than and see to that.

Thanks so much _ibd_. It is good enough.

SkyHawk, do you still have your past spreadsheets of the results?

Thanks,

oh god... maybe. Let me take a look

I have 2002's and 2003's results in excel format
Founder
Thanks so much.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I'm in, thanks for the reminder email.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Founder
You're welcome.

Some of you will notice that your past games are being added to the uDevGames.com site. Thanks to Seth for that. I will be working on improving the pages that display the individual entries as well as the listing of the games. I need to divide them by year as well. Last step for that section will be adding in screenshots, source code and playables.

I'd like input on the design of the entry (game) page. For example, something like this:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26179/eve-online

Non-designed temp page:
http://www.udevgames.com/games/entry/zed_nought/

Post mockups or links to inspire me please.

Having that section completed makes a big difference in approaching new sponsors.

Speaking of which, I just completed the sponsorship form. Thanks to PowerMacX for his great help in the CSS. Thanks also to Seth and others for proofing.

If you work for a potential sponsor, you are welcomed to submit:
http://www.udevgames.com/sponsors/sponsorship

I'll be setting up the page that lists sponsors and prizes next for that section.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
⌘-R in Chief
Have you contacted sponsors yet, Carlos? Roughly three weeks to go...
Founder
Indeed I have.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
skyhawk Wrote:oh god... maybe. Let me take a look

I have 2002's and 2003's results in excel format

And I've also still got 2002's results. It has game names and scores, but not authors.

Chris Burkhardt
Chris Burkhardt Wrote:...
Wow, there's a name I haven't seen in a while!
Founder
Indeed!!! But a very welcomed name.

BTW, I have started to place sponsors on uDG at:
http://www.udevgames.com/sponsors/prizes

Just company info at this point.. I'll add in what they are actually giving. Working something out with IK Multimedia for audio goodies, and still working on dozens more. (They are keen to do a game-music only contest in the Spring as well.)

Sadly, no word from Apple.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Are you aware that the page title of the prizes page is wrong? It appears to be picking up the name of the most recently added game.
Founder
Yes, that is on my to-do list.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDevGames 2008 Winners igame3d 25 14,892 Mar 18, 2009 02:39 PM
Last Post: skwirl42
  Official Start of uDevGames 2008 aarku 17 9,363 Dec 8, 2008 07:41 PM