uDevGames 2008

KittyMac Wrote:I'm cool with an entry fee whether or not iDG provides the hosting.

Same here. IIRC, the entrants hosted the games themselves in 2004 and it worked fine. Some people stepped in and offered to host games on their sites that didn't have a home.

The fee, imo anyway, also ensures commitment for the entrant. Kind of separates those who are serious about entering from those who are not.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Quote this message in a reply
JustinFic Wrote:Same here. IIRC, the entrants hosted the games themselves in 2004 and it worked fine.

As I recall, there were several games which had broken links. There were at least a couple that I was unable to vote on because of that.
Maybe I'm understimating the popularity of the contest, but is bandwidth really such a big problem? My dreamhost account offers 7 TB a month and we only use about 10GB a month it looks like. I guess ScribBall is pretty small at 5 MB, but I wouldn't expect most people to have problems hosting their game, or have a several people host a few each.

How many downloads have people experienced in past uDGs?

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
AndyKorth Wrote:Maybe I'm understimating the popularity of the contest, but is bandwidth really such a big problem? My dreamhost account offers 7 TB a month and we only use about 10GB a month it looks like. I guess ScribBall is pretty small at 5 MB, but I wouldn't expect most people to have problems hosting their game, or have a several people host a few each.

How many downloads have people experienced in past uDGs?

I forget exactly how much bandwidth I used in 2004, but I remember having on the order of 40-80GB and I was fine. I used maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of it at the peak (right at the end of the contest) and that included me uploading it to MacUpdate, MacGameFiles, and VersionTracker. I had a 6.5 MB download.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Luminary
I used 40GB of my own bandwidth and an unknown amount of aarku's for OMG.
Founder
Fees in the past went to pay for shipping of the prizes. There are sponsors that won't ship prizes directly to winners -- they ship them to us. One year, I had them ship to Rocco as he lived in the states (and I was in Japan.) Still cost $$$. We could say, "All shipping to be paid by the winners." But then I have to take much time to collect payment down the road; no thanks.

More software is available via electronic format, so there is that to think on. But paper books and hardware can't be downloaded. Remainder of funds (if any) stayed in our PayPal account for hosting/software updates.

I don't know the fees of S3. If someone can do the homework on that or another service, and it is within a reasonable cost, I would look into it.

I think that there are a good number of free services (check Digg) available these days. I will add their links into the FAQ when it goes up.

If anyone feels $10 is too much a barrier to entry, I'm fine with $5, as long as there is some money to cover costs.

On a sidenote. Once there was this fee, I noticed a dramatic drop in "prankster entries."

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Quote:As I recall, there were several games which had broken links. There were at least a couple that I was unable to vote on because of that.
Yep, I hate that. I find that it usually happens to developers who are not devoted to their entry. I find that developers who are serious about executing on all levels; programming, project management, and marketing, don't run into this issue. So in a way, this let's me see who are the true potential stars in our community.

On a positive note.... HEH, UDEVGAMES IS BACK.
LOL

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Can someone translate from German to English?
http://www.maclife.de/index.php?module=P...d=5&pid=26

Also, I am looking for contact information for the following developers:

Astroknights - Duel Arena - Stuart Barth
Cubic's Rube - David Rzepa
Feathered Soccer - Ludovico Rossi
Gokuban - Eric Hoaglin
Nanocrisis - Alex Ni
PictureFrameX - Alan Dickinson
Shards - Nathan C. Goings
SolarQuest - Andrew Farley
Splock - Sean Monahan
Thunder Blast - Kyle Leary
Toad Muncher - Peter Leahy

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I looked at the pricing for S3 and it seems fine, but it's difficult for me to come up with an estimate.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

I have heard a big Mac publisher has had good results with S3. Sorry to be ambiguous. Smile
⌘-R in Chief
1 TB out is $170 according to the calculator.
Yeah, you pay for the performance, scalability, and reliability, I guess. It's probably overkill for the contest on second thought.
Luminary
Overkill? It's about the cheapest bandwidth you can get, and it ensures that all the games are readily and speedily available. It also allows locking the linked version to the submitted version, which is possibly important during voting.

If each entry uses an average of 50GB, it'd cost $8.50 via S3, which should be easily covered by the entry fee. And that's assuming that iDG doesn't already have excess bandwidth to use...

If prize shipping is a significant financial issue, ask the people providing physical prizes either to ship to the winner or to provide courier fees themselves, rather than passing the costs on to the entrant. Hardly a "prize" if everyone has to pay for it Rasp
I sent you a PM about contact information Carlos, Might I suggest a "real name" field in the uDevGames profiles (maybe make it only visible to moderators) to avoid confusion about who is who?

-CarbonX
Founder
CarbonX (others),

There is a first name and last name field when you register. It should be displaying. Please tell me if it isn't.

Thanks,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I registered and verified that my (mostly empty) profile appears on the member's list, but I can't seem to actually login.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDevGames 2008 Winners igame3d 25 14,604 Mar 18, 2009 02:39 PM
Last Post: skwirl42
  Official Start of uDevGames 2008 aarku 17 9,154 Dec 8, 2008 07:41 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  uDevGames 2008 size limit ThemsAllTook 12 6,549 Dec 6, 2008 07:43 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Tutorial Contest - May 23, 2008 stevejohnson 18 10,367 Jun 21, 2008 05:55 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball