OpenGL ES 2.0 Problems - Senior Project Thread

Nibbie
Hi all,

My name is Evgeni Petrov.

I am doing a Senior Project for iPodTouch last generation on ES 2.0. I decided to use 2.0ES so I can learn more about 3d programming and graphics in general. Unfortunately I am not very good in 3D programming. I have experience with DirectX9.0c and I know the basics but still encounter too many small hick ups. I will update this thread with my problems and questions, I hope you guys can help me out.

The Senior Project is basically a game where a ball is rolled on arcade like platforms using the accelerometer.

To the point. I have problems with rendering simple cubes. When I put the next to each other I get a problem. Looks like clipping problem but I cannot understand why some of the sides are shown and not others. Here is how it looks from above:
[Image: screenshot20100316at419.png]

Here when I look it from below:
[Image: screenshot20100316at418.png]

It looks like a depth buffer problem but why from only one side? Then I thought maybe it is winding order problem but If I get the boxes far apart (they are not touching) I do not get similar problems.
Quote this message in a reply
First, personally I wouldn't go with ES 2.0 right now, especially while you're learning. I'd do 1.1 instead. As far as I can tell, that's what most of us are using right now.

I can't quite tell what's going on in your screenshots, but two things come to mind:
1) try glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE)
2) if that doesn't do it, then maybe you don't have a depth buffer properly attached and enabled
Zammy Wrote:I am doing a Senior Project for iPodTouch last generation on ES 2.0.

You'll need current-generation hardware (something with a PowerVR SGX chip) to run ES2 code. Last generation iPod Touches have PowerVR MBX GPUs, which only run ES1.1 code.
Sage
Zammy Wrote:It looks like a depth buffer problem but why from only one side?

Try the debug steps in the FAQ to confirm if it is a depth buffer problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL ES Texture Problems jhbau1000 1 5,387 Jul 12, 2010 05:57 AM
Last Post: Kezhaya
  Using OpenGL in a Thread wyrmmage 4 3,884 Jan 13, 2008 05:39 AM
Last Post: Hog
  OpenGl rotation/translation problems? wyrmmage 2 4,517 Jan 6, 2008 01:58 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  Problems getting on the fast path in OpenGL Sea Manky 15 9,873 Jun 10, 2007 01:43 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  "Speed" problems with OpenGL apps? Gateway 1 2,755 Jul 30, 2006 02:31 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie