iPhone versus iPhone 3G versus iPod Touch

Does anyone know if the three devices have similar cpu/gpu processing power? I only have an iPhone 3G so I can't make a side by side speed judgement for my game. Right now GL Golf runs at 20-30(limited) fps on the 3G which is acceptable, so I'm hoping performance is similar on the other two devices
Quote this message in a reply
Based on purely anecdotal usage of all three devices, I've seen no perceptible difference in speed.

EDIT: Not to hijack the thread, but this question is very closely related: Do other iPhone developers here think it's worthwhile to have one of each device for testing? I currently have the two revisions of the iPhone, but no iPod Touch. Jake, you mentioned having some troubles on other devices in a different thread... I'm just trying to decide if spending an extra $300 is justifiable, or would be a waste of money.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Based on purely anecdotal usage of all three devices, I've seen no perceptible difference in speed.

EDIT: Not to hijack the thread, but this question is very closely related: Do other iPhone developers here think it's worthwhile to have one of each device for testing? I currently have the two revisions of the iPhone, but no iPod Touch. Jake, you mentioned having some troubles on other devices in a different thread... I'm just trying to decide if spending an extra $300 is justifiable, or would be a waste of money.

From what I've seen, performance is similar enough where you don't have to worry about a min spec.

As far as having one of each device for testing, the phones have a few facets the Touch doesn't (vibration, app interruption when receiving a call, etc) but IMO it's not enough to justify a hardware purchase.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Jake, you mentioned having some troubles on other devices in a different thread... I'm just trying to decide if spending an extra $300 is justifiable, or would be a waste of money.

That was any device in general, nothing specific to any model. I gave up on the Ad Hoc distribution and ended up sending out a developer build.

Thanks for the post Justin, I would agree that it's not worth it right now
I only had an iPod Touch to test on before the initial release, and the iPhone version ignored the silent switch as a result. Can't really go into more specifics, but it's something to watch out for.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:I only had an iPod Touch to test on before the initial release, and the iPhone version ignored the silent switch as a result. Can't really go into more specifics, but it's something to watch out for.

What is "the silent switch"? ... if you can say, that is.

Jake Wrote:I gave up on the Ad Hoc distribution and ended up sending out a developer build.

It took me a long time to figure out Ad Hoc as well, so don't feel bad. I only missed one critical detail out of the twenty million steps it takes. There's a site that was particularly helpful which I don't dare link to here, but you can Google for : beta testing on iphone 2.0
AnotherJake Wrote:What is "the silent switch"? ... if you can say, that is.

The iPhone has a physical switch on the side that turns the volume on or off. It's hard to say if it was designed to behave like a phone ring mute only or a system-wide mute, and as it stands some apps go silent, some do not. Turns out a lot of people expect it to mute all sounds and I agree.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
I was totally unaware of that since I'm developing on a Touch as well, thanks for bringing it up! I do have a person to beta test with an iPhone so I guess I'll be sure to ask them about it too.
AnotherJake Wrote:What is "the silent switch"? ... if you can say, that is.

The switch on the side of the phone that puts it in silent mode.