3d game development

Hi there,

I'm kinda new to opengl es and am in need of a few pointers if possible. Just a little background on myself to let you know where Im at Smile I've already got a basic app released in itunes and now Im wanting to create something a little more in depth. I have also previously used java 3d (directx) but i understand this is very different to opengl. So anyway, to the questions:

1) Does opengl have the concept of a 'camera' where if you're moving around a 3d world, its the camera that you should move. Or is it that you have to move all the objects in the world, in the opposite direction?

2) How would I go about adding on-screen buttons over the top of the 3d world? similar to the way chopper/cromag rally works.

3) How should objects such as 'missiles' be handled? ie id have to have a missle object stored but created and detroyed on the fly.

4) what would be the best way to handle a 3d landscape? I've previously used triangle strips for this and that seemed to work ok.

I understand these are broad questions but im just looking for a place to get started really. Id really appreciate any help! Grin
Quote this message in a reply
wonza Wrote:1) Does opengl have the concept of a 'camera' where if you're moving around a 3d world, its the camera that you should move. Or is it that you have to move all the objects in the world, in the opposite direction?

The latter.

wonza Wrote:2) How would I go about adding on-screen buttons over the top of the 3d world? similar to the way chopper/cromag rally works.

Most likely, you'd want to first draw your 3D geometry, disable depth testing, set up an orthographic projection matrix, then draw your 2D widgets on top.

wonza Wrote:3) How should objects such as 'missiles' be handled? ie id have to have a missle object stored but created and detroyed on the fly.

There are plenty of different ways to do this, but most likely it'll come down to your code keeping track of an array of missile objects and a count, and adding and removing them as they're created and destroyed.

wonza Wrote:4) what would be the best way to handle a 3d landscape? I've previously used triangle strips for this and that seemed to work ok.

Depends on what your app needs to do with the landscape. If triangle strips work for you, great!
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  framework for 2d game development? MikeAlive 2 697 Jul 17, 2014 05:39 AM
Last Post: IceD34ler
  3D game development socialrender 4 6,173 Jan 2, 2013 12:50 AM
Last Post: NikG
  iphone 4 game development andynov123 2 7,204 Jan 18, 2011 01:27 AM
Last Post: JohnEdward
  Beginning Iphone game development collision lunayo 0 3,847 Oct 8, 2010 11:43 AM
Last Post: lunayo
  Problem with making a game with the iPhone Game Development book MrPenguin9 2 5,252 Feb 1, 2010 09:13 AM
Last Post: MrPenguin9