What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot?

Sage
Image kind of says it all:

[Image: TeapotSphincter.png]

Admittedly, I don't use glutSolidTeapot very often -- generally just for throwaway stuff -- but I have no idea why my teapot has an apparent sphincter atop the handle.

I have enabled GL_NORMALIZE, and the rest of the teapot looks great. But what's up with the handle? I don't recall this in earlier GLUT teapots...

Wacko

( I'm laying the foundation for the LiSPSM demo I'm going to write, and just wanted something on the screen to make certain my lighting pipeline was sane. )
Quote this message in a reply
LOL teapot sphincter ...

Maybe you could try the glut_teapot out of my shadow mapping demo. I think I pilfered that one from an Apple example.
Sage
The normal is 0,0,0 at that point, so the length of the normal is zero. So the normalized normal is...
Sage
Well, that certainly explains it, but I don't recall seeing it in the past, and I don't know why the canonical teapot would have a degenerate normal.

Anyway, I'm not using glutSolidTeapot for the LiSPSM demo, so it doesn't really matter. But I was -- and still am -- a little perturbed.
Sage
It's always been that way. But, the interpretation of NaN differs depending on the renderer, so it might have looked OK on your old hardware.

If it bugs you, file a radar!.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lighting a sphere with OpenGL lights (normals wrong?) cecilkorik 3 8,030 Dec 27, 2007 02:40 PM
Last Post: _ibd_
  What could be wrong here? Jones 5 2,788 Jul 1, 2006 08:52 PM
Last Post: Jones
  Can someone help a 'noob'? What's wrong with this? RagingAvatar 7 4,137 Jun 4, 2006 11:54 PM
Last Post: Fenris
  Texture Color is wrong DesertPenguin 7 3,949 Feb 14, 2006 09:04 PM
Last Post: DesertPenguin
  Whats wrong with my collision code? Jake 6 2,931 Sep 11, 2003 12:44 PM
Last Post: MacFiend