Any suggestions on 3d iphone game?

1500 by when? Ya gotta give a date too!
Quote this message in a reply
AnotherJake Wrote:Q3 is licensed publicly under the terms of the GPL, which means that you have to distribute all the code for your game, which means that it will expose the iPhone API and thus violate NDA.

[adding] And actually, way in the back of my mind, I wonder just how much Quake3 being available on iPhone has to do with them holding back on the NDA? I wonder if big companies like EA are complaining about it behind closed doors. There is obviously a LOT of money at stake for third parties. Maybe they don't like the idea of competing directly with Joe indie using Q3, at least not until they get a chance to show their goods first? ... I dunno ... crazy tin-foil hat stuff I guess...

Sorry about the reply to myself, but I have more tin-foil hat theory to run with. It just occurred to me that id must be scrambling to find a way to invalidate GPL licensing of their technology on iPhone. It's potentially worth gobs and gobs of income for them. This appears to be a really unfair situation for them. They gave it to the public under the GPL because the technology it was running on became outdated and they had newer stuff to offer their commercial clients. It was an incredibly generous thing for them to do, but now there's a new platform where they could license it off to large commercial clients again, and they're stuck with the GPL being attached to it. I would have never thought something like this would've happened. I really wonder what's going to happen with id tech on iPhone now.
AnotherJake Wrote:1500 by when? Ya gotta give a date too!

By Christmas.

* FlamingHairball doesn't even know how many games there are right now. Rolleyes

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Hairball183 Wrote:/me doesn't even know how many games there are right now. Rolleyes

243 according to my iPod right now. Prolly more like 143 if you don't count all the Sudokus. Rasp

For reference, by my count, there were 175 on opening day.
Luminary
Id still holds the copyright on the Q3A sources, so they're not subject to the restrictions of the GPL... and neither is anyone who pays to license the engine.
I understand that, but what I'm thinking is that big commercial companies like EA might not be comfortable paying huge sums of cash to get exclusive licensing deals with id, only to compete with Joe Indie using the same technology for free. I know that id had originally held off on releasing Q3 under the GPL for a while for what appeared to be that very reason, although, it may have been that id didn't want to change the nature of the deals that had been already inked. Hard to say, but if id didn't care about this, then Doom3 would have already been GPL'd the day it was released. So one has to figure that since iPhone is a fresh market for Q3 commercial licenses, there must be some desire on their part to close up GPL licensed use of it there.
Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll try something original and possibly reuse some of the characters from the mac game I am currently working on. Rasp
Sage
Slightly off-topic, but given the rush of game devs to go iPhone, does anyone sense a actual Mac gaming void coming in the near future?

kodex Wrote:Baseball would be cool, might be hard to implement with the controls.

Flick Sports
KittyMac Wrote:Slightly off-topic, but given the rush of game devs to go iPhone, does anyone sense a actual Mac gaming void coming in the near future

Heh... Well, it's not like the Mac is overflowing with great games as it is, but yeah, I don't suppose this will help.

As I've mentioned before, I've almost completely stopped gaming on the Mac in favor of the 360. I know there are a lot of wii and PS fans too. I think Apple needs to get a serious clue from this and open up an App store for the Mac which does games as well. I seem to recall Ryan Gordon suggested that a while back. I disagreed with it back then, but I've completely changed my mind now that I've seen how it works for the iPhone. I think the DRM scheme, and the micropayments, and the fact that there's one store to go to, could actually be a big win for indie Mac game developers and users alike.

As far as game ideas on the iPhone, personally, I think some kind of Zelda-ish top-down adventure could be really fun on the iPhone. I've been thinking about one myself for a future title.
KittyMac Wrote:Slightly off-topic, but given the rush of game devs to go iPhone, does anyone sense a actual Mac gaming void coming in the near future?
[/url]

I agree with what you are saying but it had the opposite effect on my stuff. I am going to port one of my new iPhone games to the mac.