WMA format & iTunes

iTunes can't read .wma format????!!!! QuickLook can! Quicktime can! Why can't iTunes?!

Mac users swear by their computers, PC users swear at their computers. ~Unknown

iSayz
Quote this message in a reply
Probably has something to do with Apple and MS having competing formats and software. There has been plenty of sniping between the two camps over the years you know...

I don't know how Quick Look works underneath, but if you've installed something like Flip4Mac for your Windows Media stuff on the Mac, it'll get picked it up (seems like it's using QuickTime). iTunes seems to play using a different set of codecs/APIs/etc than QuickTime. I don't know what's up with that, but yeah, it kinda sucks not having compatibility in iTunes sometimes.
Quicktime can only read wma files with additional codecs installed. As Anotherjake mentioned iTunes does not use the quicktime APIs to play content. Was this a rant or are you trying to do something?

On another related note, does quicklook read .wma without flip4mac installed, i've never tried.

Ohh BTW this would of been a perfect time to use the interrobang (‽), I would really like to see it make a comeback.
kodex Wrote:Ohh BTW this would of been a perfect time to use the interrobang (‽), I would really like to see it make a comeback.

I don't recall ever hearing about the interrobang until now. Very nice! Is there a quick key-combo available on the Mac?
kodex Wrote:Quicktime can only read wma files with additional codecs installed. As Anotherjake mentioned iTunes does not use the quicktime APIs to play content. Was this a rant or are you trying to do something?

On another related note, does quicklook read .wma without flip4mac installed, i've never tried.

Ohh BTW this would of been a perfect time to use the interrobang (‽), I would really like to see it make a comeback.

Well, it was sort of a rant but I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me an easy way to get audio in WMA into iTunes. But, with these replies, I guess not.

iSayz
⌘-R in Chief
FYI: You're in the wrong forum. This is Graphics and Audio programming. Use Assembly Zone for misc randomness.
FreakSoftware Wrote:FYI: You're in the wrong forum. This is Graphics and Audio programming. Use Assembly Zone for misc randomness.

Ah. My bad, well I'm pretty much done anyway. If a mod wants to kill this thread, I'd be OK with that.

iSayz
AnotherJake Wrote:I don't recall ever hearing about the interrobang until now. Very nice! Is there a quick key-combo available on the Mac?

HTML: &*#8253 or &*#x203D (Remove the “*”)
OS X: Command + Option + T, then select “Punctuation”, it is in there
Windows: ALT+8253
kodex Wrote:HTML: &*#8253 or &*#x203D (Remove the “*”)
OS X: Command + Option + T, then select “Punctuation”, it is in there
Windows: ALT+8253

Thanks. Unfortunately, "Special Characters..." doesn't seem to do anything for me for some reason. I can click on the menu item but nothing comes up. Must be buggy right now. Maybe after a restart or something?

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Duane Wrote:http://www.tuaw.com/2006/04/02/convert-w...ng-useful/

Huh, awesome. Too bad it's $10. Can't say I'm interested enough to cough that up at this time. Thanks for the link!

iSayz

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lottery game on itunes Newbrof 4 3,211 Aug 13, 2009 08:53 AM
Last Post: Newbrof
  Apps on itunes store Najdorf 56 20,769 Aug 27, 2008 01:16 PM
Last Post: reubert