Suggestions on capturing video from opengl app?

So I haven't heard back from maximile yet (probably because it's pretty late right now where he lives), but I did find some bugs with GBMovieRecorder and sent the proposed fixes to him. I'll SVN it once I can be reasonably sure the bugs have been settled.

Nothing really major, but apparently 10.5 changes some of the way condition locks can be used -- or more like, I wasn't using them quite properly in the first place. Looks like I got away with setting the condition without acquiring the lock first in Tiger.

Also, it appears that something changed with QT and/or the file system with how it's dealing with movie storage files. I can't delete the temp file immediately after recording anymore, without QT throwing a fit and refusing to create new storage if another movie is recorded without relaunching the app first. The file flags say the file isn't busy, but one never knows what QT thinks it should be. So now the temp file has to stick around for the life of the program, which sucks, but oh well. I don't know how to get around that yet. Maybe a person could record an empty movie into it or something, to bring the size down to virtually nothing. I dunno, that seems awkward too. Might work though...

Well, anyway, it works again as far as I can tell. I'm just not happy with a potentially big, fat temp file sitting on disk until GBMovieRecorder is released.
Quote this message in a reply
Quick update; in addition to those bugs AnotherJake kindly squashed there was also a problem with using anti-aliasing (supersampling) which showed up on my machine but not his. Disabling that solved my black screen problem. I'm going to play with a few other ways of achieving anti-aliasing; if I get any to work I'll update this thread. Apart from that, GBMovieRecorder works perfectly for my needs, so thank you AnotherJake and TomorrowPlusX. Smile
reubert Wrote:Personally I just use iShowU. Though frame rates can be difficult to keep up while recording on lower end systems, for presentation on the web it really doesn't matter.

Thanks, reubert! I've been wondering about how to do this easily on a Mac, and that little app looks like just the ticket! Thanks for posting it!!

My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing, Rick Rocket, and Fashion Cents Deluxe
Anti-aliased recording: http://www.maximile.net/stuff/recordingtest.mp4 (recompressed for the web)

I'm really pleased with this. To get it working I had to hint for supersampling (apparently I was using another method before). This might cause problems on GPUs that don't support it (because I had to multiply all my glLineWidths and glPointSizes by 2), but that's something I'll have to work out when I get closer to finishing.
That looks awesome maximile! Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Transition from programmer to video game programmer <book suggestions> Achithyn 12 5,643 May 28, 2006 12:13 PM
Last Post: Achithyn
  Capturing Arrow Key Press robmcq 5 5,330 Oct 7, 2005 01:19 AM
Last Post: codemattic
  Capturing Kestrokes honkFactory 2 3,065 Jan 27, 2003 04:30 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie