Like SDL? Like iPhone? You're in luck!

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to make a quick announcement that through the Google Summer of Code program, I have been charged with porting SDL 1.3 to iPhone and iPod Touch. You can expect this project to be complete by the end of the Summer.

Right now basic video is working, along with all the straight ports like threads, timers, etc.

Just as the Mac OS X version of SDL 1.3 has an OpenGL video driver, the iPhone version will be fully accelerated through OpenGL ES. A nice thing about OpenGL ES through SDL on iPhone is that rather than having to deal with Apple's [[---]] API, you can just write a short app with a main() and an SDL timer which calls your draw routine -- much fewer lines of code!

More updates to come!
Quote this message in a reply
Though I said some pretty negative things about the usefulness of SDL on the iPhone in another thread, I'm still interested to see how this turns out, and imagine it would be a fun thing to do. Best of luck!

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:Though I said some pretty negative things about the usefulness of SDL on the iPhone in another thread, I'm still interested to see how this turns out, and imagine it would be a fun thing to do. Best of luck!

It's indeed a fun thing to do ... not to mention I get paid for it Sneaky

The main benefit that I see for SDL on iPhone is that it fights the complexity of setting up a basic project. SDL on iPhone will let you set up an OpenGL app for iPhone without using any Objective-C 2.0, and only 10 lines of code.

I've got to admit that SDL by itself won't be too useful. But once SDL image and SDL ttf are on the device, I would actually use the frameworks myself. I should also note that SDL 1.3 has much better OpenGL integration, and this will definitely come in handy for game developers who don't want to use roundabout ways of getting things into OpenGL textures.
Thanks Futrell! I always use SDL for my OpenGL, love the library. I'm not sure if I'll dabble into iphone developement soon but it's great to know it's going to be painless should I get into it.

But yeah, SDL is great for us lazy asses which don't care about obj-c or how the OS works Wink

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Good luck with it Holmes!

Like I said in that other thread too, SDL on iPhone seems more novel than useful, but what the heck, if you can do SDL on iPhone, why not? It just seems to me that setting up an OpenGL project on iPhone isn't much more than a little copy-paste and you're there -- even if you never touch another line of Obj-C from then on.

On the plus side of things, I'd bet that SDL running on iPhone would tend to attract more developers to it (like Najdorf Wink ).
hulin
Unregistered

This is great new! would new SDL support framebuffer access on iPhone? OpenGL ES on iPhone seems to not provide API to access the framebuffer on iPhone.

Thanks,
Lin

Holmes Wrote:Hello everybody,

I just wanted to make a quick announcement that through the Google Summer of Code program, I have been charged with porting SDL 1.3 to iPhone and iPod Touch. You can expect this project to be complete by the end of the Summer.

Right now basic video is working, along with all the straight ports like threads, timers, etc.

Just as the Mac OS X version of SDL 1.3 has an OpenGL video driver, the iPhone version will be fully accelerated through OpenGL ES. A nice thing about OpenGL ES through SDL on iPhone is that rather than having to deal with Apple's [[---]] API, you can just write a short app with a main() and an SDL timer which calls your draw routine -- much fewer lines of code!

More updates to come!
hulin Wrote:OpenGL ES on iPhone seems to ***[iPhone SDK NDA violation commented out by AnotherJake]*** on iPhone.

Don't talk about this! We are still under NDA!
Apprentice
Thanks Holmes,

I think it would be a great attraction for people who want to quickly get things up and running...
hulin Wrote:This is great new! would new SDL support framebuffer access on iPhone? OpenGL ES on iPhone seems to not provide API to access the framebuffer on iPhone.

Thanks,
Lin

If the iPhone SDK doesn't expose something, then under the terms of service of the SDK, SDL cannot expose it either. Developers using Apple's SDK must agree to restrict themselves to using published APIs. Hope that answers it.