A More Accurate Volumetric Particle Rendering Method Using the Pixel Shader

⌘-R in Chief
Quote:Many games, even on current "next-gen" hardware, render particles using camera facing quads. In many cases these particles are used to represent volumes of many smaller microscopic particles. These volumes typically are simulated simply by determining how much contribution they present to the view using a simple blend function. This blend function defines how much the simulated volume of particles obscures the scene behind them.

Although this method has been employed in games for many years, this article defines a method using shader technology to more physically represent these volumetric particles. This method will give a more accurate visual representation of the simulated volumes as well as potentially decreasing the necessary number of particles, which in turn will help to improve render performance.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/36...etric_.php

Before:
[Image: image001.jpg]

After:
[Image: image003.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Please disregard that this is a totally crappy screenshot. But I gave a stab at volumetric particles last year, and while my particle engine sucks, the effect is quite impressive.

[Image: particletest-2008-06-11-07.png]
⌘-R in Chief
Hard to tell it's relation to the geometry, but it looks nice.
Sage
Yeah, it's a crap screenshot! Perhaps I can make a better one.
FreakSoftware Wrote:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/36...etric_.php

Before:[...image...]

After:[...image...]

Hahaha... Stupid me... I was looking at the "before shot" thinking that was the volumetric particles one at first...

Yeah, that looks really good man! Thanks for the link. Smile

P.S., those pool balls need some shadows, don't you think? Sneaky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ios/mac shader - shared glsl source OptimisticMonkey 2 5,440 Jun 17, 2011 08:59 AM
Last Post: OptimisticMonkey
  passing values from vertex to fragment shader Sumaleth 6 11,390 Feb 18, 2011 01:54 AM
Last Post: Holmes
  [CoreGraphics] Image manipulation - pixel by pixel g00se 5 10,506 Jul 28, 2010 08:27 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Changing Uniform Variables for a Single Shader reapz 3 5,714 Jul 15, 2010 01:29 AM
Last Post: dazza
  Vertex shader particle billboarding question TomorrowPlusX 3 5,855 Sep 15, 2008 06:46 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX