Is -fconstant-string-class broken under the XCode/Next runtime

Luminary
LGPL requires you to link dynamically to it, or provide full object code and linking instructions, or provide full source code and compilation instructions, for any app that links to it.

GPL requires you to GPL anything linking to it.

Cocotron ObjC runtime not thread-safe FAIL.
Quote this message in a reply
OneSadCookie Wrote:LGPL requires you to link dynamically to it, or provide full object code and linking instructions, or provide full source code and compilation instructions, for any app that links to it.

GPL requires you to GPL anything linking to it.

Cocotron ObjC runtime not thread-safe FAIL.

I don't use Cocotron, I just checked the gcc files it comes with because I had downloaded it previously and it was the first thing that spotlight pulled up. I'm just mentioning the license issues because Nayr got me interested in it.

As for what I was saying about the linking exception:

Code:
/* As a special exception, if you link this library with files compiled with
   GCC to produce an executable, this does not cause the resulting executable
   to be covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not
   however invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be
   covered by the GNU General Public License.  */

If I understand this correctly, and based off of what others have discussed over the issue, this exception gives you the right to link statically or dynamically with the exempt library, without holding you to any version of the GPL or its rules. It however does not exempt you if you use it for anything other than linking.

[Add] The libobjc exception is almost identical to the libstdc++ exception, that library of course is completely unrestricted in how you link to it and you are not required to do anything unless you use it in a fashion outside linking.

Code:
// As a special exception, you may use this file as part of a free software
// library without restriction.  Specifically, if other files instantiate
// templates or use macros or inline functions from this file, or you compile
// this file and link it with other files to produce an executable, this
// file does not by itself cause the resulting executable to be covered by
// the GNU General Public License.  This exception does not however
// invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be covered by
// the GNU General Public License.

I hate to say it, but GPL and all its derivatives are so restrictive in their "freedom" that I've already grown to hate them. BSD-style licenses are where it's at.
Alright, an update!

I contacted the FSF (GNU organization) regarding the exception to the GPL that libobjc includes. I fortunately was right; libobjc is considered a system file so the exception allows for you to link to libobjc any way you please, statically or dynamically without having to include object files, source or anything in addition. This is all as long as you compile any program that links to it, with gcc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  formatting value in a string sefiroths 3 4,244 Dec 12, 2011 02:41 AM
Last Post: sefiroths
  Getting a value from a String Megamac04 5 3,995 Jan 31, 2010 04:23 PM
Last Post: smasher
  Parsing from a string to something faster? Madrayken 3 3,281 Aug 10, 2009 03:32 PM
Last Post: smasher
  string to interger comparison? dareuhl 8 4,583 May 22, 2008 05:44 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  char array versus pointer to string constant question WhatMeWorry 7 7,617 Jan 30, 2007 12:26 PM
Last Post: bronxbomber92