Tutorial Contest - May 23, 2008

Official rules, since no one complained on the other thread. I moved the date back a day so people could get started tomorrow evening before the three-day weekend (in the USA, that is).
-Two voting categories: Best Tutorial, Best Contributor
-All tutorials must have been started after 12:00am GMT on Friday, May 23, 2008 and submitted by two weeks from that date
-Entrants must post the topic(s) of their tutorial(s) in this thread.
-Submissions should be posted to this thread.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Hi everyone,

my name is .oO brush Oo. and i really like developing games. And since I've got a MacBook Pro last month, I am really interested in developing games for Mac.

Last Sunday (May, 25th), I began to write a tutorial to share what I have learned so far. Although my German is much better than my English, I think you could understand it.

If you find any (language) mistakes in there, just give me a hint! Thanks!

So...what is this tutorial about?

It is about creating an OpenGL window using the Cocoa API. It also deals switching from window to fullscreen mode.

I've uploaded it to my webspace (which is the webspace of my CounterStrike Source Clan (Yeah - until now I'm still a Windows Gamer Wink )), but I hope to open an German MacGameDev Forum soon, where you will be able to download it then, too.

I hope this tutorial is helpfull to you! Enjoy it!

Link (PDF-Tutorial + SourceCode):
http://www.wbgclan.de/macdev/tutorials/O...ocoa01.zip
--- edited: fixed link ---

Greetings...

Stefan aka .oO brush Oo.
Okay, so, umm, no one posted to this thread, probably because I had the wrong wording at the end of the first post. Well, this is the thread.

I'm doing a ground-up Processing tutorial, because none exist yet. I might do more, but that's my start.

Sage
I'll probably spend at least a few days working on some Chipmunk tutorials I guess. Chipmunk is in need of better example code.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I'm writing a tutorial abound extending games with scripting languages so that the grunt work is done behind scenes, using chipmunk and cocoa. I'm not sure I'll finish the code before the deadline, let alone the tutorial, so who knows.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
I should point out that people will probably go easy on awesome tutorials that aren't quiet finished...as long as it looks like they will be finished later.

In that case I'm building a step by step MMORPG construction tutorial! YAY!
Apprentice
Did someone take a look at my tutorial? Any comment would be fine...
Brush,

I got a chance to take a deeper look at your tutorial today. It is put together very well and in such a way that makes it easy for an absolute beginner to be able to sit down with Xcode and get a working "engine" up and running.

The background that you have on your desktop in a number of the screen shots is slightly distracting, have you looked into just using pictures of the windows that are currently active?

The formatting of the PDF is especially well done, the blue boxes around code make it easy to scan for the information that you need. I also like the excessive commenting in the code sections itself. When someone is very new to a language or environment it is helpful to have too much information then not enough (imo).

You may also want to include a website or email address somewhere in there for contacting you about the most up to date version or sending you error corrections. Just some food for thought.
Apprentice
brush Wrote:Did someone take a look at my tutorial? Any comment would be fine...

I just had a chance to take a look at it and so far it looks great. Good work! Smile
Apprentice
Thank you!

I have thought about my tutorial during the last week and about possible limitations...
As kodex mentioned the screenshots may be distracting. I'll fix that.

But I've found another issue about my tutorial: There is no possibility to change the resolution in fullscreen.

Although I think my tutorial is good for absolute beginners, it is not for advanced developers. Therefore, I'm currently working on another tutorial, describing how to fix this issue.

Together, both tutorials should give beginners a good way to start their own game engine.

Greetings,
brush
Oh, uh, yeah, isn't this over now?

Well, carry on anyway.

Apprentice
well...let's don't care this was a contest. because no one really posted any tutorial (but me)...

I just did not want to open a new thread for announcing that I am working on another (better-than-my-first) tutorial...

I think the people who read the tutorials don't care about the contest anyway...because they are looking for answers / tipps how to start or make things better...

And I like to share my knowledge with others - for free! So I don't care, about any trophy I could get somewhere...just want to know, what I can improve to share my knowledge better...

brush
Founder
Brush, contact me to get your tutorial posted.

Thanks,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Apprentice
you mean the new one?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDevGames 2008 Winners igame3d 25 14,937 Mar 18, 2009 02:39 PM
Last Post: skwirl42